Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Spray basted my DR table (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/spray-basted-my-dr-table-t98760.html)

Olivia's Grammy 02-13-2011 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Ouch - I hope it all comes off. I'd try the baby oil or a furniture polish oil - teak needs oiling every now and then anyway, doesn't it?

My dining room table is currently finished in vintage dust... I should get out the furniture oil, myself. :?

Love it. Wish I had read this early, before I got rid of my vintage dust. :lol:

Taughtby Grandma 02-13-2011 06:14 PM

Machine quilting on that baby will really be a challenge! :lol:

lisalovesquilting 02-13-2011 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Minnisewta
Just a few words about dust on your furniture. You should never remove dust because it is a protective layer for the wood.

Thank you. I knew there had to be a good reason for leaving it there. :D

VickiM 02-13-2011 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I needed to make some sandwiches for a class. The instructor wanted us to spray baste. I usually do this outside, but it was 15 degrees. I covered my teak dining room table with newspaper, but I got some overspray on the table. I thought that spray basting was supposed to wash out with soap and water, but this didn't remove it from the table. I also tried the teak cleaner I had, and this just seemed to smear it. I think it will wear off eventually, but I'd like to clean it, or should i just add batting, backing and quilt it?

Try "Goo Gone". Walmart carries it. It comes in a liquid or a spray. It's in the paint area, by the adhesives. I used it on my cutting table, windowsills, vertical blinds, vinyl floor (all had a year old build-up & actually were black by the time I got around to cleaning it all up. I used the spray one, wiped off after letting it set for a couple minutes...no residue at all left. I had tried other things, nothing took that stuff off. I would test it on the underside of your table first, just to be safe. Good luck.

JUNEC 02-13-2011 07:49 PM

Have to tried the Mr Clean Erasers - they work great on so many things

Flying_V_Goddess 02-13-2011 07:57 PM

One time I helped my painter friend set up for a tour that was going through her gallery and she had some glass table tops that had tape on them. To get rid of the sticky residue she had me use mineral spirits. Haven't found anything that advises you not to use them on...say...a wooden dining table

Rettie V. Grama 02-14-2011 05:24 AM

I don't think it is funny! I got it on my hnair dryer and can't get it off. Hair dryer looks dirty. GRRRRRRRRR

IowaStitcher 02-14-2011 05:57 AM

These could damage the finish on the table and require a refinish job. Act kind of like sandpaper.

JUNEC 02-15-2011 05:15 PM

For future reference, I used goo gone. Put a tiny amount on a paper towel, then rubbed the area. Removed residual oil with another paper towel. Didn't seem to affect (effect? any grammar police out there?) the teak at all.

Does this mean you got the basting off your table?

PaperPrincess 02-16-2011 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by JUNEC

For future reference, I used goo gone. Put a tiny amount on a paper towel, then rubbed the area. Removed residual oil with another paper towel. Didn't seem to affect (effect? any grammar police out there?) the teak at all.

Does this mean you got the basting off your table?

Yes, the goo gone removed the adhesive from the table, didn't damage the teak finish and no oily residue.