Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Spray basting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/spray-basting-t189415.html)

Lafpeaches 05-19-2012 11:01 AM

Spray basting

I have several tops to quilt which I like to do. However, I hate the pin basting part. I have seen 2 videos with instructors spray basting even large quilts and not pinning. Has anyone tried this successfully?

krysti 05-19-2012 11:03 AM

I've only basted 2 quilts; but have spray basted both and wouldn't do it any other way!

nativetexan 05-19-2012 11:18 AM

i spray baste mine. i use a folding table from JoAnn's to lay them out on. then i lift the top section and spray and lay it back down, smooth and move to other side. lift up, spray and lay down and smooth. then to the sides and do the same. then turn over and smooth the backing again and start there doing the same, lift, spray, smooth, move on.
that takes long enough to make my back hurt but it still better than ironing fusible batting (which i also use) or pin basting or thread basting.

Tartan 05-19-2012 11:19 AM

I hate pinning too! I use Hobbs 80/20 fusible batt but I am going to try the 505 basting spray this year. There are countless positive posts on QB about spray basting with 505 over pinning

Pat625 05-19-2012 11:19 AM

I may have to try this. I was going to buy some for using when making bow tuck purses, since hate working with fusible batting...Will have to try it on the queen size scrappy top I just pieced today

judee0624 05-19-2012 11:23 AM

I never pin baste. spray basting is the best! Just make sure you have good ventilation, especially if you use Sullivans. I prefer 505.

sahm4605 05-19-2012 12:42 PM

i used to pin but hated it and will only spray baste. it works at keeping the puckers down better. at least to me. hope this helps.

yngldy 05-19-2012 12:44 PM

Question on spray basting: When I do a quilt, I cannot finish quilting all in one sitting. When I fold quilt to put away, when I get it back out, it looks like the fabric has shifted and is wrinkled around the fold. Have to reposition. Does that happen to you, or is it just me and what am I doing wrong? I end up spray basting and pinning which sort of defeats the purpose, not to mention cost.

katier825 05-19-2012 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by yngldy (Post 5228258)
Question on spray basting: When I do a quilt, I cannot finish quilting all in one sitting. When I fold quilt to put away, when I get it back out, it looks like the fabric has shifted and is wrinkled around the fold. Have to reposition. Does that happen to you, or is it just me and what am I doing wrong? I end up spray basting and pinning which sort of defeats the purpose, not to mention cost.

Once you fold it, it can wrinkle a bit on the fold line. I rarely get the chance to finish in one sitting, so I put safety pins every so often around the edges of the quilt. Probably every 12-18 inches or so. I just smooth out when I open it back up. I have not had to reposition it though.

cuppi duke 05-19-2012 02:32 PM

This is the only way to go but be careful of brands. The June Taylor one sometimes leaves your needle gummy. I discovered that if you read the directions it helps. When it says to shake for 2 minutes, don't cheat. It helps
to always follow directions I guess.