Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Spray basting

Spray basting

I have several tops to quilt which I like to do. However, I hate the pin basting part. I have seen 2 videos with instructors spray basting even large quilts and not pinning. Has anyone tried this successfully?

I've only basted 2 quilts; but have spray basted both and wouldn't do it any other way!
    ​Krysti

Blog Entries
    i spray baste mine. i use a folding table from JoAnn's to lay them out on. then i lift the top section and spray and lay it back down, smooth and move to other side. lift up, spray and lay down and smooth. then to the sides and do the same. then turn over and smooth the backing again and start there doing the same, lift, spray, smooth, move on.
    that takes long enough to make my back hurt but it still better than ironing fusible batting (which i also use) or pin basting or thread basting.

Power Poster
    I hate pinning too! I use Hobbs 80/20 fusible batt but I am going to try the 505 basting spray this year. There are countless positive posts on QB about spray basting with 505 over pinning

I may have to try this. I was going to buy some for using when making bow tuck purses, since hate working with fusible batting...Will have to try it on the queen size scrappy top I just pieced today

I never pin baste. spray basting is the best! Just make sure you have good ventilation, especially if you use Sullivans. I prefer 505.

i used to pin but hated it and will only spray baste. it works at keeping the puckers down better. at least to me. hope this helps.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

Question on spray basting: When I do a quilt, I cannot finish quilting all in one sitting. When I fold quilt to put away, when I get it back out, it looks like the fabric has shifted and is wrinkled around the fold. Have to reposition. Does that happen to you, or is it just me and what am I doing wrong? I end up spray basting and pinning which sort of defeats the purpose, not to mention cost.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
    Question on spray basting: When I do a quilt, I cannot finish quilting all in one sitting. When I fold quilt to put away, when I get it back out, it looks like the fabric has shifted and is wrinkled around the fold. Have to reposition. Does that happen to you, or is it just me and what am I doing wrong? I end up spray basting and pinning which sort of defeats the purpose, not to mention cost.
    Once you fold it, it can wrinkle a bit on the fold line. I rarely get the chance to finish in one sitting, so I put safety pins every so often around the edges of the quilt. Probably every 12-18 inches or so. I just smooth out when I open it back up. I have not had to reposition it though.

This is the only way to go but be careful of brands. The June Taylor one sometimes leaves your needle gummy. I discovered that if you read the directions it helps. When it says to shake for 2 minutes, don't cheat. It helps
    to always follow directions I guess.

I read somewhere after spraying when finished iron front and back.I have done this and seems to work.

I felt the same way you do. I have found I ONLY spray baste now. it is so much easier & faster. I have used the 505 that everyone recommends and it is great.

Just did a T-shirt quilt with the June Taylor spray and will now go back to the 505. The garage floor was to hard to crawl around on and keeping the sheet that I put down first in place was a problem as the flannel backing kept moving it around. You don't need to have as much fresh air with the 505.

Blog Entries
    I tried spray basting with poly batting and it didn't bond at all. Next time, I'm going to spray, press, AND do a little pinning, but not full-on 4-5" pinning. My sewing area and my storage room are in different parts of the house, so I do a lot of carrying my quilt and I don't want the spray adhesive to have the burden of that kind of weight.

Blog Entries
    I like June Tailors spray from Walmarts and not just because its so much cheaper. You can lay you backing on the floor or wall and tape it down flat, spray, place batting down and spray again. It works great.
    Judy

I am a spray basting convert. I first saw it done in a quilt store where I worked. What a difference!. You have to protect from overspay by laying down a sheet or papers, but otherwise it is great. It is faster, the quilts lie flatter and you can quilt without those pesky puckers.

BTW - I try to only use 505 basting spray. It is by far the best I have found.
    Arlene

I alwys pin my quilts BUT the posts sound real positive with spray basting. How many cans of basting spray would
    it take to do a full size quilt?

Thanks
    "BIG SKY COUNTRY"

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I love spray basting! I do mostly small projects, but I pin them to a wall in my studio--back-spray-batting-spray-top. DONE! Ready to be quilted. I lay an old piece of fabric on the floor to keep it fropm getting sticky. I did pin a lap quilt up there once. It worked okay. My husband asked where all those pin holes in the wall came from... lol

I only use the 505 and love it, no shifting ever. I don't generally fold a quilt after basting. If I can't get right to it, I prefer to roll it onto something to avoid the folds. When my husband orders fishing poles online, they come in these really terrific tubes that are huge and work wonderfully!

I, too, am a basting spray convert. No shifting, no pins to contend with, and the quilt has the body to make machine quilting so much easier. I love it!

I spray baste all of my quilts. We're talking about 200 of them. Never had any problems. My favorite basting spray is the 505 spray. You can occasionally get it 50% off at JoAnns.com, when I see it I buy a dozen cans.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!