Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Spray Basting Update! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/spray-basting-update-t136429.html)

judykay 07-09-2011 06:29 PM

Does the June Taylor spray basting still have a strong order. I have been using Dritz quilt spray basting as it does not have hardly any smell at all. I think the June Taylor is cheaper and is a larger can/.

cjomomma 07-09-2011 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by judykay
Does the June Taylor spray basting still have a strong order. I have been using Dritz quilt spray basting as it does not have hardly any smell at all. I think the June Taylor is cheaper and is a larger can/.

The one I buy at Walmart has an odor. I have to use it in a well ventilated area.

blueangel 07-09-2011 06:56 PM

I like it too.

Buckeye Rose 07-09-2011 07:03 PM

I used it in a well ventilated room....overhead fan and window fan pulling out the fumes so I didn't notice anything

Buckeye Rose 07-09-2011 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by nyelphaba
I have to try this spray basting. I would love to stop basting with needle and thread.

OMG.....it is so much easier and faster.....I spray basted a lap size quilt in about 15 minutes.....used an old sheet on the bed to catch any overspray....and made sure there was plenty of ventilation.....the biggest tip I can give you is don't use too much, a little goes a long way!

cctx. 07-09-2011 09:10 PM

Awesome news; .......and post your finished quilt when possible so we can take a peek at your success. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

wolfkitty 07-09-2011 10:10 PM

Thank you. I've wondered about trying it. You've encouraged me.

susanwilley 07-10-2011 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
I just finished another quilt using June Tailor basting spray and this time it was a success! I used quite a bit less and had no problems at all. No sticky mess, No thread breakage and much softer too. Thank you all for the helpful hints. I will never pin baste another quilt....ever!

That is very encouraging Buckeye Rose! My first attempt at spray basting was not so good too. But, my problem, I think, was too little spray. My quilt has alot of little pleats and bunches on the back. I can only think it was from being too loose. Well, that and I am really not good at it at all. But I keep trying!
So, thanks for the info I am really anxious to try again. Getting close to needing to layer the baby quilt I'm working on. Don't feel so stressed about it now!

GABBYABBY 07-10-2011 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I'm so glad it worked for you. I'm like you I will never pin bast again!!

I agree with you too!!!

romanojg 07-10-2011 05:06 AM

I started using this because it was quite a bit cheaper than what you get at a quilting store; local or chain. I used the 505 a couple of weeks ago and it didn't seem to hold as well but I was told I may not have put enough on it. I will try again but I used the same amount as the June Tailor so even the amount needed makes it cheaper to use.