Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Spray Basting Update!

  1. #1
    Super Member Buckeye Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Monroe, IN
    Posts
    2,285
    I just finished another quilt using June Tailor basting spray and this time it was a success! I used quite a bit less and had no problems at all. No sticky mess, No thread breakage and much softer too. Thank you all for the helpful hints. I will never pin baste another quilt....ever!

  2. #2
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,088
    Blog Entries
    1
    Woo Hoo!! So happy to hear that it was a success :D:D:D

  3. #3
    Power Poster alikat110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Waco, Texas
    Posts
    15,191
    Blog Entries
    9
    Yeah for you!!!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Valley Grove, WV
    Posts
    737
    I used that particular product for the first time and love it. I lap quilted using a round hoop and had no problems as all. It's my new FAVORITE quilting item. :thumbup:

  5. #5
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    14,916
    Blog Entries
    2
    I'm so glad it worked for you. I'm like you I will never pin bast again!!

  6. #6
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    16,172
    Blog Entries
    2
    wonderful. so glad to hear it!!

  7. #7
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    44,022
    Blog Entries
    45
    congrats

  8. #8
    Super Member Lori S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,385
    I am like you , once I discovered spray basting ... I will never pin one again!! So glad you have a new tool that makes it so much easier.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    996
    I have to try this spray basting. I would love to stop basting with needle and thread.

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Snowy Minnesota
    Posts
    1,336
    Hooray!

  11. #11
    Super Member judykay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,404
    Blog Entries
    18
    Does the June Taylor spray basting still have a strong order. I have been using Dritz quilt spray basting as it does not have hardly any smell at all. I think the June Taylor is cheaper and is a larger can/.

  12. #12
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    14,916
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by judykay
    Does the June Taylor spray basting still have a strong order. I have been using Dritz quilt spray basting as it does not have hardly any smell at all. I think the June Taylor is cheaper and is a larger can/.
    The one I buy at Walmart has an odor. I have to use it in a well ventilated area.

  13. #13
    Power Poster blueangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    20,478
    I like it too.

  14. #14
    Super Member Buckeye Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Monroe, IN
    Posts
    2,285
    I used it in a well ventilated room....overhead fan and window fan pulling out the fumes so I didn't notice anything

  15. #15
    Super Member Buckeye Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Monroe, IN
    Posts
    2,285
    Quote Originally Posted by nyelphaba
    I have to try this spray basting. I would love to stop basting with needle and thread.


    OMG.....it is so much easier and faster.....I spray basted a lap size quilt in about 15 minutes.....used an old sheet on the bed to catch any overspray....and made sure there was plenty of ventilation.....the biggest tip I can give you is don't use too much, a little goes a long way!

  16. #16
    Super Member cctx.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas (that's me!)
    Posts
    4,870
    Blog Entries
    2
    Awesome news; .......and post your finished quilt when possible so we can take a peek at your success. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

  17. #17
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Elmira, NY
    Posts
    6,226
    Thank you. I've wondered about trying it. You've encouraged me.

  18. #18
    Senior Member susanwilley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Posts
    910
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
    I just finished another quilt using June Tailor basting spray and this time it was a success! I used quite a bit less and had no problems at all. No sticky mess, No thread breakage and much softer too. Thank you all for the helpful hints. I will never pin baste another quilt....ever!
    That is very encouraging Buckeye Rose! My first attempt at spray basting was not so good too. But, my problem, I think, was too little spray. My quilt has alot of little pleats and bunches on the back. I can only think it was from being too loose. Well, that and I am really not good at it at all. But I keep trying!
    So, thanks for the info I am really anxious to try again. Getting close to needing to layer the baby quilt I'm working on. Don't feel so stressed about it now!

  19. #19
    Super Member GABBYABBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Camden, Ohio
    Posts
    1,429
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I'm so glad it worked for you. I'm like you I will never pin bast again!!
    I agree with you too!!!

  20. #20
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    5,034
    Blog Entries
    1
    I started using this because it was quite a bit cheaper than what you get at a quilting store; local or chain. I used the 505 a couple of weeks ago and it didn't seem to hold as well but I was told I may not have put enough on it. I will try again but I used the same amount as the June Tailor so even the amount needed makes it cheaper to use.

  21. #21
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    5,034
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by susanwilley
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
    I just finished another quilt using June Tailor basting spray and this time it was a success! I used quite a bit less and had no problems at all. No sticky mess, No thread breakage and much softer too. Thank you all for the helpful hints. I will never pin baste another quilt....ever!
    That is very encouraging Buckeye Rose! My first attempt at spray basting was not so good too. But, my problem, I think, was too little spray. My quilt has alot of little pleats and bunches on the back. I can only think it was from being too loose. Well, that and I am really not good at it at all. But I keep trying!
    So, thanks for the info I am really anxious to try again. Getting close to needing to layer the baby quilt I'm working on. Don't feel so stressed about it now!
    did you try taping down your backing before spray basting; that is the mistake I did the first time out.

  22. #22
    Senior Member susanwilley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Posts
    910
    Quote Originally Posted by romanojg
    Quote Originally Posted by susanwilley
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
    I just finished another quilt using June Tailor basting spray and this time it was a success! I used quite a bit less and had no problems at all. No sticky mess, No thread breakage and much softer too. Thank you all for the helpful hints. I will never pin baste another quilt....ever!
    That is very encouraging Buckeye Rose! My first attempt at spray basting was not so good too. But, my problem, I think, was too little spray. My quilt has alot of little pleats and bunches on the back. I can only think it was from being too loose. Well, that and I am really not good at it at all. But I keep trying!
    So, thanks for the info I am really anxious to try again. Getting close to needing to layer the baby quilt I'm working on. Don't feel so stressed about it now!
    did you try taping down your backing before spray basting; that is the mistake I did the first time out.
    I had mine pinned to a large board that leans up against my wall. It is so much easier than crawling around on the floor, which I can't do anymore. It could be that it wasn't pinned tight enough. I also had trouble making it stick to the batting. Not sure why, but this time I'll spray a little heavier and hope it works.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.