Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Spray Starch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/spray-starch-t120280.html)

NanaCsews2 05-02-2011 02:21 PM

My mother used a Pepsi bottle with the rubber cap and holes punched in it. She would sprinkle all her blouses and our dresses (6 little girls all aged 1-1&1/2 years apart..!). Then she would roll each one up tightly and place them all back in the clothes basket until later in the evening when we were watching tv. She made her own starch 'sprinkle' too until my parents got to the point in their marriage they could afford the Niagara Spray. Seemed to save her a lot of time. We weren't allowed to touch the ironing when we got older as this must have been her 'de-stressing' time.

Carol E 05-02-2011 02:24 PM

I watched my mom go thru exactly the same process. I have bought starch in the grocery store here.

Airwick156 05-02-2011 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by bakermom

Originally Posted by Murphy

Originally Posted by amma
I buy starch at the grocery store, Walmart, Dollar Tree... in the laundry item aisle :D:D:D

Me also.

The ARGO starch runs about 1.29-1.49 per box here.

Argo as in Cornstarch that you use in cooking?

Lori S 05-02-2011 03:02 PM

I can only get the liquid concentrate here( no dry in the box type) or spray , and the only place that carries the conentrate in my area is Walmart . So every once in a while I have to go and stock up.
I like the concentrate as I get do "custom" mixes or strenght depending on the project and the fabric.
The only company I know that makes the liquid concenrate is Stay Flo... come in a blue plastic jug.

JAK 05-02-2011 03:04 PM

I purchase the Niagra spray starch at my local Walmart but think I have also seen it in the grocery stores.

bakermom 05-02-2011 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Airwick156

I buy starch at the grocery store, Walmart, Dollar Tree... in the laundry item aisle :D:D:D

Me also.

no this is in the laundry aisle, dark blue and white box. Might be made by the same company though.

Cybrarian 05-02-2011 03:09 PM

So do you have to keep shaking up the Argo+water mix?

Ginger2010 05-02-2011 05:38 PM

I remember when my mom use to do that also! Even in the pop bottle with the spray like top with holes and fold them up and put them in a basket and then we took them out and ironed them.

LivelyLady 05-02-2011 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Darlene's
I use Sta-Flo and mix it strong in a spray bottle and iron away lol from Walmart

Me too....big savings :thumbup:

saf 05-02-2011 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Airwick156

Me also.

Yes, use the cornstarch that is used in cooking. That's all starch is, although I understand that the best quality starches are made with rice flour.