Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Spray Starch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/spray-starch-t120280.html)

ruck9085 05-02-2011 06:55 AM

Okay, back in the day, my momma used real starch. She mixed it with water to the strength she wanted and then rinsed the clothes in them, hung em on the line and then when it came time to iron, she used a spray capped coke bottle for a sprinkling bottle, sprinkled the clothes, rolled em up and stuck em in the fridge for a few hours before ironing. The clothes always ironed up so crisp and sharp. Why can't I find that old fashioned starch now. I have to buy that old magic sizing stuff and it doesn't make my fabric near as crisp.
Anybody know where I can buy the old fashioned kind of starch? Or even the old Niagara Spray Starch? All I can find is that Magic Sizing stuff.

lbaillie 05-02-2011 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by ruck9085
Okay, back in the day, my momma used real starch. She mixed it with water to the strength she wanted and then rinsed the clothes in them, hung em on the line and then when it came time to iron, she used a spray capped coke bottle for a sprinkling bottle, sprinkled the clothes, rolled em up and stuck em in the fridge for a few hours before ironing. The clothes always ironed up so crisp and sharp. Why can't I find that old fashioned starch now. I have to buy that old magic sizing stuff and it doesn't make my fabric near as crisp.
Anybody know where I can buy the old fashioned kind of starch? Or even the old Niagara Spray Starch? All I can find is that Magic Sizing stuff.

http://ashleys.net/recipes/Starch.htm maybe this will help

amma 05-02-2011 07:04 AM

I buy starch at the grocery store, Walmart, Dollar Tree... in the laundry item aisle :D:D:D

kathy 05-02-2011 07:12 AM

it should be right near the cans, you can get liquid or powder

donnajean 05-02-2011 07:15 AM

Your memories are like mine, except we did not put them in refrigerator/ice box - it was very small.

saf 05-02-2011 07:29 AM

I have a job getting the 'real' starch in in the UK too but then found an old recipe book from ggrandma and now do what she did. Use cornstarch mixed with water. about a teaspoon to 2pints. Just mix it in the cold water and either submerge fabric in it or spray it on from a hand spray bottle. Then iron immediately while still damp. Works a treat and cheap too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Murphy 05-02-2011 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I buy starch at the grocery store, Walmart, Dollar Tree... in the laundry item aisle :D:D:D

Me also.

bakermom 05-02-2011 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy

Originally Posted by amma

Me also.

The ARGO starch runs about 1.29-1.49 per box here.

Darlene's 05-02-2011 08:33 AM

I use Sta-Flo and mix it strong in a spray bottle and iron away lol from Walmart

quilt1950 05-02-2011 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Darlene's
I use Sta-Flo and mix it strong in a spray bottle and iron away lol from Walmart

This is what I do.