Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Square YoYO (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/square-yoyo-t74543.html)

bluteddi 11-16-2010 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by ScrappyCat
I HAVE to make some of these square yo yos! Thank you for the info and idea...they are truly unique!

U could make them as big as u wanted... this was just the size of the original pattern. If u do a seach on google, there are MANY variations of the square ( and other shapes) of the yoyo.... I liked this pattern ( kinda of a wonky shape) It seemed to create the " true square bottom " better to me.

ScrappyCat 11-16-2010 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by bluteddi

Originally Posted by ScrappyCat
I HAVE to make some of these square yo yos! Thank you for the info and idea...they are truly unique!

U could make them as big as u wanted... this was just the size of the original pattern. If u do a seach on google, there are MANY variations of the square ( and other shapes) of the yoyo.... I liked this pattern ( kinda of a wonky shape) It seemed to create the " true square bottom " better to me.

I did look on google, and I also saw the one you posted, which ended up being the same design for the square! I like it best. There was one someone put on as a blog of their own, they said DO NOT SELL. Well..I didn't like it anyways! LOL I like yours. I also like the one you didn't like with the dark and light because it sorta looked like the yellow brick road. I can't wait to see yours complete!!!

CoriAmD 11-16-2010 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
I have never heard of or seen a square yo yo - don't keep us in suspense too long - we want to see it :mrgreen:

yes, pictures please! :)

CoriAmD 11-16-2010 12:27 PM

TA - DA!!!!!!! * drum roll please!!!!!!!*

The Sq YO YO is DONE!!! label and all...

Pretty!

Betty Ruth 11-18-2010 07:26 PM

My kind of quilt - lots of purple.

bluteddi 11-20-2010 03:08 PM

Purple and Lavender are my moms all time favorite colors ( she even has a lavender bathroom.. all the fixtures are lavendar!!! The hosue was built back in the late 1950's.... Even the tile work is lavendar.....
The pattern called for " lights and darks" of mixed fabrics.. but I knew when I saw it , It had to be lights ( lavendar) and darks ( purple). I can't wait to give it to her.
I have bought fabrics from all across the USA for it. When I traveled, I tried to hit at least one store to get more lavendar or purple fabrics.

ScrappyCat 11-23-2010 09:58 AM

I'm so happy for you! Congrats on sticking with your project for so long! It will be a prize when you're done!

bluteddi 12-24-2010 09:27 PM

I did look on google, and I also saw the one you posted, which ended up being the same design for the square! I like it best. There was one someone put on as a blog of their own, they said DO NOT SELL. Well..I didn't like it anyways! LOL I like yours. I also like the one you didn't like with the dark and light because it sorta looked like the yellow brick road. I can't wait to see yours complete!!![/quote]

Yes, it was intended that way, but after many moves and a few years passing , I had all the blocks mixed up.. so I decided to just do a hodgepodge of colors..... I like the way it turned out, even tho it wasnt how it was planned.. but then , I tend to change soemthing on eveyrthing I make... sigh.. I'm not big on insuranctions....

bluteddi 12-24-2010 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by emsgranny
I am very new to quilting so I have a really dumb question - how do you put squares together~~~Is it all done by hand or can you use machine~~do you need backing...See told you ...new at this...lol please pm me thanks sooo much cheryl :-D
Oh yeah and the quilt is just gorgeous~she should love it!!!

There are NO dumb questions..... once u get all the blocks made, I pulled the tops up ( the puffy part) and then simply butted the squares up to eatch otehr and zigsaged the edges of teh base of each sq together..... Each block makes it's own back, u stuff it with a sq of batting and then when u gather the top edges and draw string it up u take a couple of tack stitches down thru all layers , thus creating the " quilting" for thsi block...
it really is easier thanit looks....

emsgranny 12-25-2010 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by emsgranny
I am very new to quilting so I have a really dumb question - how do you put squares together~~~Is it all done by hand or can you use machine~~do you need backing...See told you ...new at this...lol please pm me thanks sooo much cheryl :-D
Oh yeah and the quilt is just gorgeous~she should love it!!!

There are NO dumb questions..... once u get all the blocks made, I pulled the tops up ( the puffy part) and then simply butted the squares up to eatch otehr and zigsaged the edges of teh base of each sq together..... Each block makes it's own back, u stuff it with a sq of batting and then when u gather the top edges and draw string it up u take a couple of tack stitches down thru all layers , thus creating the " quilting" for thsi block...
it really is easier thanit looks....

Thanks sooo much for information~I hae bookmarked this post ~ really want to try it sometime....can you show picture of the back of quilt thanks cheryl ;)