Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Standing up to spray baste!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/standing-up-spray-baste-t28280.html)

SharonC 11-07-2009 11:07 AM

I have terrible back pain and pinning or spray basting on the floor puts me in agony for a few days at a time...I can't wait to try this method.
Thanks - It makes complete sense :) :)

ETA: I've got the perfect wall on one side of my garage.

sandpat 11-07-2009 04:43 PM

Those solutions for the overspray sound great! Its a fantastic idea and my knees thank you!

mjsylvstr 11-07-2009 05:23 PM

What about fresh air? Do you have windows near where you are spraying? The spray cans that I have used always warn about having good ventilation...

My husband puts saw horses in the garage ( in cold weather) or in the driveway (in nice weather) we cover with plywood and an old sheet over it.

usually a good sized lap quilt will fit....otherwise, between the two of us, we do a portion of the quilt and then move it along the board to finish it.

Goes pretty fast with two sets of hands and there isn't that much clean-up outdoors...pull the sheet off, into the washer and dryer and clean-up is finished.....hubby takes care of the saw horses...etc.......

Just another quilters' suggestion.....
MaryJane

amma 11-07-2009 06:04 PM

WOW!!! This works GREAT!!!
I pinned it to the wall in my entryway...I put a fan in the door to suck out the smelly air...
I pinned the backing and then I smoothed the batting on, and then the top... They stayed up there all by themselves :D
Then I placed pins across the center horizontally, I folded down the batting and the top and let them hang. Sprayed the backing, pulled up the batting smoothing it out. Repeated for the top.
I pulled up the top and pinned it to hold it up and out of the way, pulled up the backing pinning it also, sprayed smoothed, sprayed smoothed and I was done!!!
I did put down some newspaper on the floor and used the cardboard for the over spray. It took half the time than when I use the floor and I am happy to say that my back and knees are feeling pretty grateful for this tip!!!
Thankfully I have white walls and I do not mind those small holes or taking a little spackle every few times to fill the holes...much better than putting up with bum knees and a sore back :wink:

TX_Cutie 11-07-2009 06:31 PM

One way that you may be able to help with overspray (I can't seem to control mine) would be to tape up a plastic drop cloth over the wall first. They're huge and would protect everything.

joeyoz 11-07-2009 06:32 PM

Hmmmmmm! Not a bad idea. Let us know how that works.

sharon b 11-07-2009 07:10 PM

Very Clever ! now where can I find a wall :roll:

littlehud 11-08-2009 08:22 PM

What a great idea. I can't wait to try it here. Maybe on a basement wall.

SharonC 11-08-2009 08:43 PM

Just wanted you to know that I tried this (what a FANTASTIC idea). I velcrod a large rectangle fleece and washable tablecloth on a garage wall, taped my backing on, sprayed....NO PROBLEMS :)...batting, etc. Took me about 15-20 to get it the way I wanted and lo and behold....DONE :). I did put my lap quilt with the top to the left since I'm short and it was easier. I had NO back pain whatsoever :lol: :lol: and am planning on another one tomorrow.....Thanks so much for suggesting this technique.

dojo36 11-13-2009 05:05 PM

i absolutely love this idea, you're just so clever. i can't get down on the floor any more due to old age & bad knees so i've been using my bed and that breaks my back. i'm sure gonna try it, but i think i'll try it outside on the side of the house that nobody can see except the neighbor. can't wait to try it.