Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Starch & Ironing Board (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/starch-ironing-board-t194713.html)

Rose_P 07-15-2012 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 5366778)
don't over spray the starch- a little bit goes a long way- ironing board covers are washable- take it off & wash it when starch builds up-
cover your ironing board cover with freezer paper- pressed into place- you can peel it off & toss it when it becomes soiled & just put a new piece on. (i do this when i'm using alot of fusables-working on a big applique project-works great)

Thanks for posting this tip! I like to use a portable ironing pad that has foam attached, and I don't think it would survive a wash, but it's great to know there's a way to get around this problem.

BKrenning 07-16-2012 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian (Post 5367356)
What does putting it in a plastic bag do? Is it sealed up? I'm wondering if I'm using starch wrong. Do I let it dry before I iron it?

You are supposed to wait until it sinks all the way into the fabric. I spray the back side of however much fabric I plan on using right away and then let it hang for an hour or so before ironing. I don't trust myself to wait long enough on very light fabric, however so I only use sizing on light colors and I don't think the silvery, heat reflective ironing board covers are a good idea with damp fabric. Mine gets smoking hot and it shocks the crap out of me in the winter "static" cling months. It will be going into hot pads very soon!

karenpatrick 07-17-2012 04:26 AM

I use one of those 18" X 24" (I think) pressing boards. When it got nasty looking, rather than throw it away and buy a new one, I just slipped it inside a white, king-sized pillow case. You can still see the lines on it and when it gets nasty just take it off and wash it. You can get cheap white pillow cases anywhere for about $10.00 a pair.

Latrinka 07-17-2012 05:24 AM

I've never tried washing mine, I just buy a new one every so often!

piepatch 07-17-2012 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian (Post 5367356)
What does putting it in a plastic bag do? Is it sealed up? I'm wondering if I'm using starch wrong. Do I let it dry before I iron it?

Putting the starch sprayed fabric in a plastic bag allows the fabric to soak up the starch, and not remain on the surface. The starch will also moisten any part of the fabric that didn't get sprayed when stuffed into a plastic bag, much like the way they "sprinkled" clothes with water that were to be ironed in the old days.

piepatch 07-17-2012 05:39 AM

I like the silver looking teflon fabric for ironing board covers. I can't remember what it is called, but Hancock's and JoAnn's carry it. I make my own covers with this fabric, and it holds up really well, and does not stain easily.

AZ Jane 07-17-2012 06:14 AM

I think the "trick"is to not burn your ironing board cover in the first place. If you are a starcher, pre-starching and waiting for the starch to penetrate the fabric is part of the process. You can choose from several methods. Just as purchasing fabric is part of the process.

IBQLTN 07-17-2012 06:44 AM

I cover my ironing board with a piece of muslin. I have two pieces for this task so when one gets soiled, I put the other one on and wash the dirty one.

I love the freezer paper idea though. I need to use that to keep my press and cut surface 'safe' when I teach classes at church. Gr8 tip!

heidikins 07-17-2012 06:46 AM

I cover my ironing board with a piece of muslin (large enough to cover area I will be using) when pressing starched fabric. I starch the wrong side of the fabric and press on the right after letting it "rest" until almost dry. If I see my iron getting a little discolored I keep an old washcloth that I dampened on the side and occasionally slide my iron over it. When I'm finished pressing the starched fabric, I toss the muslin in the washer. I've been using the same piece for years. It works great when I'm using school glue too-washes right out.

maxnme01 07-17-2012 12:17 PM

Putting the starched fabric in a plastic bag (sealed) allows the starch to penetrate all of the fibers so you don't have areas without starch.