Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Starch & Ironing Board (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/starch-ironing-board-t194713.html)

MommaDorian 07-15-2012 08:17 AM

Starch & Ironing Board

How do I prevent starch from burning onto my ironing board? My ironing board covers have to replaced all the time. I'm afraid the burned colored areas will come off on my current ironing project.

QuiltE 07-15-2012 08:44 AM

Solutions ....
1. do not use starch!
2. wash your ironing board cover more often
3. switch to Sizing or Best Press and you'll no longer have the problem

ckcowl 07-15-2012 08:48 AM

don't over spray the starch- a little bit goes a long way- ironing board covers are washable- take it off & wash it when starch builds up-
cover your ironing board cover with freezer paper- pressed into place- you can peel it off & toss it when it becomes soiled & just put a new piece on. (i do this when i'm using alot of fusables-working on a big applique project-works great)

Prism99 07-15-2012 08:51 AM

Starch scorches when ironed while still wet with a too-hot iron. Usually the fabric itself is not burned, and the scorched starch will wash out in the laundry.

QuiltE 07-15-2012 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 5366785)
Starch scorches when ironed while still wet with a too-hot iron. Usually the fabric itself is not burned, and the scorched starch will wash out in the laundry.

......... though the built-up scorched residue can transfer onto the clean fabric when you work on top of it..

MommaDorian 07-15-2012 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5366764)
2. wash your ironing board cover more often

I've never washed mine before. Until I started quilting 5 years ago, I almost never even used my iron. :D

Now I just buy a new one when it bad. Wash it!! What a great idea. lol Cold water? Dry in the dryer?

Tartan 07-15-2012 10:14 AM

I have a plywood pressing board that I covered with batt and material for ironing. I use it until one side gets nasty, flip it over and use the other side until it gets nasty and then I recover it. I have tried washing but it never comes completely clean. I am currently with one side nasty and I will use the tip of ironing freezer paper on the good side before I start using it. Thanks ckcowl!

lyndaloo 07-15-2012 12:14 PM

This may sound crazy, but I put an old terry cloth bath towel on my board when I use starch. My ironing board is very old but very sturdy and is larger than the covers they make now that are cheaper. I have to buy them through Amazon and they are not cheap. They used to make them where you could hand wash them and put them out to dry. (the pad and cloth are together) But now if you do that, they shrink to much to use again. So, I use the towel and remove it when I'm through with the starching part and want to iron the pieces I've cut from the starched fabric.

HMK 07-15-2012 12:20 PM

After I wash & dry my fabric I spray it with starch and put it in a plastic bag for 15 or so mins. Then when I iron, using a dry iron on the cotton setting, it doesn't leave residue on my iron or ironing board cover.

MommaDorian 07-15-2012 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by HMK (Post 5367310)
After I wash & dry my fabric I spray it with starch and put it in a plastic bag for 15 or so mins. Then when I iron, using a dry iron on the cotton setting, it doesn't leave residue on my iron or ironing board cover.

What does putting it in a plastic bag do? Is it sealed up? I'm wondering if I'm using starch wrong. Do I let it dry before I iron it?