Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stash-t225026.html)

alikat110 07-04-2013 10:50 AM

Love the table topper. Really great job on fabric hoarding (otherwise known as stash building)

qltgrose 07-04-2013 12:41 PM

Great Job! I agree with some of the other posters. If I think its just right PRICE and type for borders or backing, I will buy multiple yards. If its just a color I am missing or something that I MUST have...1/2 yd is my normal. When I first started, I did lots of FQ, but I dont do them anymore unless I am looking for something specific for a swap and need just a teeny bit. My 30 yrs old stash is filling a 12 foot wall with 7 shelves high...gotta love it :)

Sideways 07-04-2013 01:33 PM

My stash goes back over 30 years too. It's my palate I LOVE my stash!! I buy 1/2 yards usually. I am such a scrappy girl. I never make two or three fabric quilts. Or have not for years. If I need a border or backing I buy it on as need basis. I can NEVER. Go on a fabric buying trip and just buy yards of backing, too boring for me. Hahahaha!!! I buy lots of 1/2 yards of different beautiful fabrics. And the. I sit on the bus and look at them all the way home. I'm a goner I love fabric!!

works4me 07-04-2013 01:46 PM

Welcome to the stash builders club. :) You've done a great job in such a short time.

I tend to buy fat quarters if I like a fabric and can see it blending with others in my stash but don't have a specific project in mind. If I think a fabric is worthy of a backing or borders, I'll buy a couple of meters or yards. If I'm on the fence about whether the fabric is a feature or not I will buy a meter or yard. My wall quilts tend to be quite colourful and I can almost always pull straight from the stash for a particular challenge or quilt-along. Of course, that doesn't stop me from buying more fabric.

Your flag quilt is very nice. I hope you will add it to the Patriotic Quilt Challenge pages as inspiration to others to make new patriotic projects. http://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltin...e-t186260.html

icul8rg8r - if you have older fabric that you need more of you can ask here on the "in search of" threads or you can do a Google search. I just found some fabric for which I've been searching over a year. And she has lots. :)

ManiacQuilter2 07-04-2013 02:56 PM

Your stash looks better than mine!! I seem to be collecting only tonals now a days. Only thing is to make sure that the sunlight doesn't fade you exposed edges. It happened to me. YUCK !! I know store my fabric in the closet!!!

sewbeadit 07-04-2013 03:22 PM

You have got it! Great start. I say start because once you start you keep going.lol But really you have a nice selection of colors etc. I buy a lot of what I really like like 3-6 yards. What I want to mix in 1-2 yards and just for fun stuff I like one yard. Everyone does it different. When I don't have the money I just sew from the stash and it is wonderful.

zzmom 07-04-2013 03:34 PM

That is an impressive stash! I like your table topper too. All the fabrics look great together. Happy 4th of July!

sewbizgirl 07-04-2013 03:55 PM

Very nice 'stash' and I LOVE your tumbler flag quilt! I bookmarked it!

nstitches4u 07-04-2013 04:41 PM

It depends on the color, how well I like the fabric and if I want it for piecing a quilt or for a quilt back. I buy anywhere from1/2 yd. to 5 yds. If it is red, it is 5 yds.! lol

KathyKat 07-04-2013 06:44 PM

Wow! I've been collecting fabrics for 3 years now and it's probably less than half of what you have. I always check my stash first when making a quilt and pull out as many fabrics as will work. I also like scrappy quilts so some times I buy just a yard of fabric knowing it will play well with other scraps I have. Sometimes I find a fabric or collection I love and will but 2-3 yds of each knowing The fabric will eventually tell me what quilt to make with it. Yes it's great to have a stash!