Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sticker shock (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sticker-shock-t97728.html)

k9dancer 02-07-2011 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
The last 3 fabrics that I bought at Joanns within about a month have all been price marked at one price. And then when they cut it and give me my ticket the price was been between 2-4 dollars more than what the bolt says. I caught it the first time luckily and so I have been checking now to make sure I do indeed get the marked price. They are increasing their prices. :(

That is a 'bait and switch' tactic that might interest your state attorney general.

raedar63 02-08-2011 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Izaquilter
For that price I will buy quilt shop fabric :O(

Heck yes! MEEEE TOOOOO

plainpat 02-08-2011 02:33 AM

Noticed same thing at least a yr ago.My LQS has raised prices, but no ways near the amount Joanns has.I have most quilting notions, so that's good & now I'll shop sales only at the LQS.

Originally Posted by raedar63

Originally Posted by Izaquilter
For that price I will buy quilt shop fabric :O(

Heck yes! MEEEE TOOOOO

mcdaniel023 02-08-2011 02:58 AM

I went to Walmart last night. I haven't bought fabric there in a long time. A bolt caught my eye. It felt pretty nice. Then I looked at the price. $7.99. Didn't really need, especially for that price.

knlsmith 02-08-2011 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts

Originally Posted by rexie
I don't understand how they can "reprice" the fabric they already have in stock. It has already been paid for at a lower price. It seems to me that the price should only go up on newly ordered fabric.

I agree!

Its called capitalism ladies and gentlemen. It happens everywhere all of the time. Not fun, but there you have it.

plainpat 02-08-2011 04:06 AM

I call it "what the market will bear" :) as long as we pay their prices, that's how you make stockholders happy.

Its called capitalism ladies and gentlemen. It happens everywhere all of the time. Not fun, but there you have it.[/quote]

QuiltingHiker 02-08-2011 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by JEM65
I have found the prices have been rising for the last 6 months at my JoAnns here in Atlanta. I even bought some fabric and went back to get more later in the week and they had literally stickered over the price and raised it by $3.00 per yard! They have also been running big half pages ads in their flyers showcasing their Keepsake Calicos as if they are on sale but they are not discounted at all - just regular price. I am finding better sales at my local quilt shops!

I thought it was illegal to chg up a price? I guess that is only groceries...

earlylace 02-08-2011 05:13 AM

glad I haved saved my scraps I think they will come in handy for me.

JuneD 02-08-2011 05:19 AM

I guess the LQS prices are looking a lot better now!!!

ckcowl 02-08-2011 05:38 AM

i visited hobby lobby over the weekend and found the same thing...the fabrics i expected to be in the $7 range were all $9-$10 a yard...i was surprised and dismayed....did not buy any of them. visited Ben Franklin Crafts and they still have plenty to choose from with lower prices, although the new fabrics were higher. good thing i have a decent stash and the availability of the computer to on-line shop...can always find a good sale.