Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   stitch in ditch I'm not getting it right (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stitch-ditch-im-not-getting-right-t183753.html)

chairjogger 03-23-2012 03:57 AM

stitch in ditch I'm not getting it right

Oh my! Breathing to just get this done! Sort of a split rail with pinwheel accents. Only 8 inch long ditches then the rails switch. 62 inch x 62 inch...I' m freaking out on this one... Even bought the foot....back to clear normal foot.
Just getting through it at this point. :(

Annie68 03-23-2012 04:04 AM

Good luck!
: )

Raggiemom 03-23-2012 04:42 AM

I love my SITD foot, makes it much easier for me to follow the line. That being said, I have used the 1/4 inch foot a few times to SITD because I was too lazy to switch the feet. Good luck. Sometimes slowing down helps too.

leatheflea 03-23-2012 05:11 AM

SITD is too hard! I stay away from it if all possible. Good luck! hope you have better success than me.

Stitchnripper 03-23-2012 05:27 AM

Question - when you use the SITD foot, do you put the guide right in the ditch? I have a hard time with that. Or, can you move the needle and use the guide to quilt along side the ditch? That seems a little easier for me. But, I don't use the SITD foot for that.

Tartan 03-23-2012 05:36 AM

I can do stitch in the ditch but very sloooowly. I put on my walking foot and the magnifying glass on my Bernina and carefully follow the seam line. I hate it when it gets out of the ditch so I very rarely use SITD anymore. I use the stitch on my Bernina that wiggles or curves from one side of the line to the other. Less stress and because it is wigglying back and forth, I just aim the needle sewing down the ditch and let it do it's thing.

chairjogger 03-23-2012 05:54 AM

Why i have forgotten my walking foot i only think because of the 8 inch rails. Will try that. Stitchnripper, love you name, yes..put it in the ditch but wow..guide is flexable...i have pressed on one side..should not be that...maybe speed..need s l o w maybe. Thank you all for posting.

Jingle 03-23-2012 06:49 AM

I do a 1/4" line from the seam if I do a straight stitch at all. Looks much neater to me. I usually just do a large stipple or meander.

MadQuilter 03-23-2012 07:51 AM

When you SID, the seam is supposed to be just in the "lower" side of the seam. I put my hands on either side of the seam and slightly tug to see which part is the lower side (side away from seam allowance). Keep the needle close to the ridge of the seam allowance. IF the seam allowance switches (that happens to me a lot), starting a few stitches BEFORE the switch (and still tugging the seam a bit) maneuver the line so the needle slowly moves over to the other low seam and continue sewing until the seam allowance switches again. When the quilt is washed, all will be well. Don't give up.

Sadiemae 03-23-2012 07:57 AM

Good Luck!!! SID is not my favorite type of quilting to do. I know I need to practice, but I definitely prefer fmq.