Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stitch in the Ditch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stitch-ditch-t148058.html)

EmsMom 08-26-2011 10:36 AM

I have checked out some info online re: using the stitch in the ditch method of quilting for a D9P. (I have only made one rag quilt so far, so please excuse my ignorance).

I have read that SID is directly on the seam and I have read that SID is "next" to not on the seam??? So now I am confused LOL Is it just a matter of preference?

Thanks for the clarification!

MellieKQuilter 08-26-2011 10:40 AM

I think it is what you prefer... no wrong way!!

jljack 08-26-2011 10:40 AM

Really, there are different ways to do it. Whatever you want to do...on the seam, next to the seam. It's how you want it to look.

Sandee 08-26-2011 10:40 AM

Don't know about anyone else, but I SID on the seam.

MadQuilter 08-26-2011 10:41 AM

When you press the seam allowance to one side, there is a "low" side to the seam and a "high" side. Gently pull the seam apart and SID along the high side ON the low side right where the ridge is. When you let go of the seam, the SID will literally disappear into the seam.

When the seam allowance flips, you can gently move the seam over by a notch so the needle will land on the low side again.

THat said, I have done some work where I sewed ON THE HIGH SIDE sort of like a topstitch. It is personal preference.

When I had a little too much wine, I have meandered around the ditch (not sure they make an acronym for that - lol)

Buckeye Rose 08-26-2011 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
When you press the seam allowance to one side, there is a "low" side to the seam and a "high" side. Gently pull the seam apart and SID along the high side ON the low side right where the ridge is. When you let go of the seam, the SID will literally disappear into the seam.

When the seam allowance flips, you can gently move the seam over by a notch so the needle will land on the low side again.

THat said, I have done some work where I sewed ON THE HIGH SIDE sort of like a topstitch. It is personal preference.

When I had a little too much wine, I have meandered around the ditch (not sure they make an acronym for that - lol)

And....by sewing on the high side, you catch both fabrics, giving you extra strength at the seam! SITD is not exactly the easiest of quilting methods....requires a steady hand to make it look nice.

MellieKQuilter 08-26-2011 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter

:lol:

EmsMom 08-26-2011 10:54 AM

Thanks Everyone! Madquilter -- too funny!

I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew since I am newer than new at this. Maybe I will investigate some other methods of quilting my first "real" quilt....

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 08-26-2011 10:57 AM

As far as I'm concerned, SID sounds easy but is not. I'm with MadQuilter. I meander around the seam.

sparkys_mom 08-26-2011 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
As far as I'm concerned, SID sounds easy but is not. I'm with MadQuilter. I meander around the seam.

I agree. I always say I stitch somewhere in the neighborhood of the ditch. But if you have a small harp it is pretty much the only option.