Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Stitch in the Ditch

I have checked out some info online re: using the stitch in the ditch method of quilting for a D9P. (I have only made one rag quilt so far, so please excuse my ignorance).

I have read that SID is directly on the seam and I have read that SID is "next" to not on the seam??? So now I am confused LOL Is it just a matter of preference?

Thanks for the clarification!

I think it is what you prefer... no wrong way!!

Blog Entries
    Really, there are different ways to do it. Whatever you want to do...on the seam, next to the seam. It's how you want it to look.

Blog Entries
    Don't know about anyone else, but I SID on the seam.

Blog Entries
    When you press the seam allowance to one side, there is a "low" side to the seam and a "high" side. Gently pull the seam apart and SID along the high side ON the low side right where the ridge is. When you let go of the seam, the SID will literally disappear into the seam.

When the seam allowance flips, you can gently move the seam over by a notch so the needle will land on the low side again.

THat said, I have done some work where I sewed ON THE HIGH SIDE sort of like a topstitch. It is personal preference.

When I had a little too much wine, I have meandered around the ditch (not sure they make an acronym for that - lol)

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    When you press the seam allowance to one side, there is a "low" side to the seam and a "high" side. Gently pull the seam apart and SID along the high side ON the low side right where the ridge is. When you let go of the seam, the SID will literally disappear into the seam.

When the seam allowance flips, you can gently move the seam over by a notch so the needle will land on the low side again.

THat said, I have done some work where I sewed ON THE HIGH SIDE sort of like a topstitch. It is personal preference.

When I had a little too much wine, I have meandered around the ditch (not sure they make an acronym for that - lol)

And....by sewing on the high side, you catch both fabrics, giving you extra strength at the seam! SITD is not exactly the easiest of quilting methods....requires a steady hand to make it look nice.

:lol:

Thanks Everyone! Madquilter -- too funny!

I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew since I am newer than new at this. Maybe I will investigate some other methods of quilting my first "real" quilt....

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As far as I'm concerned, SID sounds easy but is not. I'm with MadQuilter. I meander around the seam.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    As far as I'm concerned, SID sounds easy but is not. I'm with MadQuilter. I meander around the seam.
    I agree. I always say I stitch somewhere in the neighborhood of the ditch. But if you have a small harp it is pretty much the only option.

Blog Entries
    The key is that the sandwich has to be nice and taut. I usually tape the backing down (nice and taut) and then flatten the batting and then flatten the top. I smooth things out from the center to the edges before I pin about hand-width apart.

I roll the top from each side to the center and SID each line first in one direction then turn the quilt 180degrees and SID the other direction.

Then I reroll to the other side and do the perpendicular lines. The better the prep work is, the less puckers I have (I also use a walking foot).

Blog Entries
    I liked the idea somebody had of using the zig-zag stitch to "stitch in the ditch"...then you're on both sides...just drive it down the middle :)

The key is that the sandwich has to be nice and taut. I usually tape the backing down (nice and taut) and then flatten the batting and then flatten the top. I smooth things out from the center to the edges before I pin about hand-width apart.

I roll the top from each side to the center and SID each line first in one direction then turn the quilt 180degrees and SID the other direction.

Then I reroll to the other side and do the perpendicular lines. The better the prep work is, the less puckers I have (I also use a walking foot).
    I learned that the hard way - puckers! OMG, please do not search for my first quilting project. The back side is full of puckers and so glad DS did not know the difference and loved it anyway. The only way to learn to to go for it! Have fun...

This is how I learned to do it and I'm SO glad to know that there is someone out there that meanders out of the ditch, too! :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by mzzzquilts
    I liked the idea somebody had of using the zig-zag stitch to "stitch in the ditch"...then you're on both sides...just drive it down the middle :)
    I like that idea, too but I don't think it would work with a walking foot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EmsMom
    Thanks Everyone! Madquilter -- too funny!

I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew since I am newer than new at this. Maybe I will investigate some other methods of quilting my first "real" quilt....
    You're fine! As I used to tell a friend of mine, "It's not Rocket Science!" Don't let it stress you just go with what you like.

Me-I go to the high side just a bit out of the ditch so I catch both layers. It's just the way I have always done it.

Just run with it and have fun!

Blog Entries
    I have a few decorative stitches on my machine and will use them and go over the ditch with out a walking foot. Lots of ways to do it. Choose which you like best:)

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the help and encouragement!! I will be back many times with questions.

I am just starting to SID on a QAYG Double D9P. (Everyone still with me here?) I choose to stitch directly on the seam rather than off to one side.

I have a Pfaff sewing machine and it has a specific SID foot with a guide on it. You are supposed to sew in the ditch of the seam, which is easy with the guide going along the seam. The idea is that you can't really see the stitches if they are in the ditch!!

Blog Entries
    I hope I'm not too late to ask this on this topic... I, too, had difficulty staying actually IN the ditch on my first attempts. So, I chose a decorative stitch and used that pretty much OVER the ditch... just covered it up... It used a lot of thread, but I used a pretty thread and my quilty friends thought it looked nice. I added another quilt line diagonally/criss-crossed for more complete quilting using a straight stitch.

On another quilt (the one in my avatar) I used pretty thread over the ditch with a decorative stitch and then quilted inside the block using buttons. The pattern is a D9P.

I know there are no 10 Commandment-type rules for us, but is using a decorative stitch OVER the ditch frowned on by the quilt police?

Thanks again everyone!

I think for my first "real" quilt - I like the idea of using a decorative stitch over the ditch.

Very interesting.

I do a variety of ways
    SID = stitch in ditch (done the right way)
    SOD = stitch on ditch/seam (tired eyes and bad coordination)
    SNTD = stitch next to ditch (could be the operator or the machine or both)

Whatever way works for me :) :)

Blog Entries
    I did mine with one of the design stitches on my machiine, it looked real nice

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast