Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stitch in the Ditch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stitch-ditch-t182883.html)

katiebear1 03-17-2012 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 5062891)
I have one of these feet, but I don't use it anymore because I'm too much of a perfectionist for SITD. What I am doing instead now is using a "serptentine" stitch, which is basically a wavy stitch to left and right. It goes right over the seam allowance but I no longer have to worry about deviations from the seam (they basically don't show up) plus I can sew faster this way.

What a great idea! I will have to try that next time I do SID as my S is practially never in the D LOL

QuiltE 03-17-2012 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble (Post 5067509)
Thanks QuiltE - I will do that! I've been meaning to take that drive for awhile anyway.

... or just phone them and ask!
Of course ... it's a good excuse to make it to the store to let some fabric follow you home!! :)

anita211 03-17-2012 07:13 AM

I started using a 'wobbly' stitch that is on the machine when I stitch in the ditch. Some stitches are on one side, some on the other. It looks like it is supposed to look like that, even though I would have preferred a nice straight stitch.

Anita in Northfield, MN

patdesign 03-17-2012 07:38 AM

They are ok, but if you go slow and pull the sides apart as they go under the presser foot you can stay on track without one.

onaemtnest 03-17-2012 07:58 AM

To all the quilters that are doing the serpentine stitch over the seam, I have a question. Are you dropping the feed dogs or just sewing serpentine over the seams? If so what stitch length? I apologize if your posts are clear to most, I'm easily confused :0)

judykay 03-17-2012 08:55 AM

Stitch in the ditch with decorative threads make it very pretty on the back side also. This is the only machine quilting I know how to do that I am happy with the outcome.

Prism99 03-17-2012 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by onaemtnest (Post 5067718)
To all the quilters that are doing the serpentine stitch over the seam, I have a question. Are you dropping the feed dogs or just sewing serpentine over the seams? If so what stitch length? I apologize if your posts are clear to most, I'm easily confused :0)

The serpentine stitch is a type of stitch offered on a lot of the newer sewing machines. It is a wavy stitch, waving from side to side. It is not free-motion quilting, so you leave the feed dogs up. It would probably be classified as a type of decorative stitch.

On my Bernina 1230, the serpentine is stitch #3 on the main panel. It basically does 3 straight stitches towards one side, 2 smaller stitches forward, then 3 straight stitches towards the other side. This creates a wave pattern. Both stitch length and width of the wave are adjustable.

Older vintage machines may not have the serpentine stitch unless perhaps it is offered on a cam.

I don't use a walking foot with this stitch, although it might be possible. I just rummaged in my foot drawer and used a foot that has a zigzag opening but is closed in front. (Tried an open-toed embroidery foot first, but found that top fabric tended to bunch up in it.) This foot has a mark in the middle so I can more or less just aim to keep the seam at that mark. Small variations from the mark really do not matter at all, so I find I can sew quite fast with this stitch. Also, because there are more stitches per inch, this is actually more secure than straight SID.

riutzelj 03-17-2012 10:01 AM

if you get the foot, it also works well for applying bias binding to garments etc.

QM 03-17-2012 10:18 AM

Good question.

Highmtn 03-17-2012 11:38 AM

As I age I lean away from perfection...lol I don't SID very often. I now use the #4 stitch on my Bernina 440 - stitch length 2.50. It lays down a gentle wavy line that reaches over both sides of the seam. I get LOTS of compliments on the look, and I've saved myself the eye strain of TRYING to hit the "ditch" spot on.