Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stitches bunching at beginning of chain piecing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stitches-bunching-beginning-chain-piecing-t273241.html)

MarionsQuilts 12-12-2015 02:02 PM

Stitches bunching at beginning of chain piecing

1 Attachment(s)
I need some help! I'm TRYING to do chain piecing and am getting very frustrated (because I have to over 300 of these LOL)

I have a brand new needle, the machine is running in tip top condition, it's clean, the threads are threaded properly, tension is perfect, AND I'm even holding the first threads at the beginning of the "chain".

BUT I keep getting this every third or fourth square and it's driving me nuts. The only way I can not get it is to "drag" the previous square as I start the new one, but then I get a huge gap of thread, and when I learned how to do this, there's no a huge gap.

I am sewing on my beloved Designer Topaz 30 ... any hints?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537889[/ATTACH]

Pudge 12-12-2015 02:17 PM

Are you using the zig zag or the single needle plate? I'd use the single needle plate. That's all I can offer for help.

MarionsQuilts 12-12-2015 02:19 PM

PUdge - I don't know what that means LOL

DogHouseMom 12-12-2015 02:27 PM

Marions ... there are two types of needle plates (the removable plate that sits under the presser foot and over the bobbin area). One type has a single hole in the middle, the other has a rectangle or U shape hole. The single hole place is ONLY for straight stitching as the needle would "crash" into the plate if you tried to zig-zag. The other plate with a longer U or rectangle shape allows the needle to perform in multiple positions along the horizontal (i.e. zig zag).

Note: If you are like me and you adjust your needle position for 1/4" seams, even though you are doing a straight stitch, you CANNOT use the single stitch plate.

If this is happening when you are chain stitching I suspect the problem is elsewhere though. There might be a burr on your needle, or a burr on your bobbin or bobbin case that is catching the thread every now and then and tugging the fabric under. You might also have a small piece of thread stuck *somewhere* in the bobbin area. I suspect the problem is most likely in the bobbin area ... something is catching and holding that thread for a split second. Possibly even a burr on the underside of your needle plate.

MarionsQuilts 12-12-2015 02:31 PM

DogHouseMom - I suspect you are right! Thank you, and after supper (and before I throw the machine out the window!) I will take it apart and clean it AGAIN!!

Thanks very much!

117becca 12-12-2015 02:40 PM

put your pieces closer together when sewing the different blocks together.

ManiacQuilter2 12-12-2015 02:44 PM

I usually bump my pieces closer together. Why do these problems always happen at the wrong time when we are working hard to get stuff finished!!

barny 12-12-2015 02:46 PM

That thread looks thick. What thread are you using? What weight? Try another size thread and see if that helps. Just an idea. Also make sure your needle is in correctly.

Pudge 12-12-2015 04:27 PM

Hope everything got straightened out, Marions.

laynak 12-12-2015 05:35 PM

This has happened to me when my fabric is a bit thin (i.e.: pre-washed batiks) and needs sizing or starch. And/or your thread looks like it may be thick for the fabric you're working with.