Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stitching onto fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stitching-onto-fabric-t295219.html)

Jingle 03-03-2018 03:50 PM

In 1960 in home ec. we were told to start sewing seams about 1/4" from top and backstitch to the top, continue to the opposite edge. This should eliminate the need for leaders.

My two straight stitch only machines don't have this problem. Some of my older machines do.

cashs_mom 03-03-2018 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by elnan (Post 8015048)
I have been sewing for over 70 years and have always held the bobbin and top threads when I start a seam. When I sew with a group, most of them are Bernina owners, and when they hear me suggest to someone having snarled nests of thread problems, "Hold onto the threads for a few stitches when you start.", someone will always tell me that is not needed except for very old machines. Not all machines or operators are the same and better safe than sorry.

That's interesting. I've always held the threads when I start. I've had 2 Berninas. The one I have now is my "new" one. It's 20 years old lol. In the guide class for that machine, they told us to hold the threads when starting. I do it on all my machines. As you say "better safe than sorry"

Peckish 03-03-2018 08:03 PM

Are you using the single hole thread plate, or the zig-zag stitch thread plate? It makes a difference.

copycat 03-04-2018 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 8015183)
Are you using the single hole thread plate, or the zig-zag stitch thread plate? It makes a difference.

I second the advice from Peckish...a single hole thread plate helps. My machine didn't come with one, so I had to buy it.

Rondie 03-04-2018 06:27 AM

I’ve had this problem happen to me because I seem to rest my leg against the hands free lever that raises the foot to allow you to pivot your fabric. Apparently it raises the foot enough that the contact of the foot and feed dogs don’t advance the fabric.

Lady Diana 03-04-2018 09:36 AM

Hold onto your top thread, put your needle down, then up, pull up your bobbin thread to the top of your fabric. then start sewing. That should take care of the problem, otherwise, use a fabric leader.

Aurora 03-04-2018 10:45 AM

I have never used a leader -- just hold the two threads for the first few stitches. Never have any problems.

sJens 03-04-2018 11:54 AM

I am with those that suggest using leaders and enders. Have fun quilting and welcome to the board.

Mizzhunybee 03-20-2018 03:26 PM

Thank you, everyone. I did re-thread my bobbin and get a different size needle. Both of those things worked!

ThreadHead 03-20-2018 08:10 PM

If it's just the first few stitches that get all mucked up, it is probably the machine eating the thread.
I took a 1 inch piece of sticky back velcro, using the loop side , stuck it on the back of the machine right behind the presser foot. Pull both threads back and into the loops. This holds the thread like a third hand. I've gotten used to shoving the thread back at the end of the seam so it's ready when I start sewing again. Syl