Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Stitching onto fabric

Stitching onto fabric

Hello all,
    I'm new to the board, not new to quilting, which is why I'm a little frustrated. I haven't quilted in a while, took my machine in for service and now I'm having troubles when I start stitching on to the fabric, like those first few stitches get all mucked up. I've adjusted my tension, changed my needle, my stitch length at 2 1/2, I'm at a loss. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
    Michelle

PS, I'm looking forward to poking around the boards!

Blog Entries
    Can you use a "leader"? Put a scrap of fabric under the needle and sew to the edge and then feed the "real" fabric under the needle right behind it. Good luck and welcome!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    Welcome!
    As Kitsie suggested, use a leader (a scrap of fabric), and make sure that you are holding on to both bobbin and top thread tails.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Power Poster
    is there a link to illustrate this? i am using a phone and have not figured out how to add a " link"

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    is there a link to illustrate this? i am using a phone and have not figured out how to add a " link"
    Does this help you?

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...-and-hows.html

Another one for you that describes the technique.

http://quiltsbyjen.ca/what-are-leaders-and-enders/

Enjoy!

I have the same thing happen to me sometimes. I hold the two threads with one hand and do a couple of stitches. It helps a lot.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzhunybee View Post
    ....when I start stitching on to the fabric, like those first few stitches get all mucked up. I've adjusted my tension, changed my needle, my stitch length at 2 1/2, I'm at a loss. Any advice?
    I don't know what machine you have. If it has a "needle up" position, it shouldn't be a problem. If it is an older mechanical machine, they used to teach that one should hold the threads behind the presser foot when you start a seam. We were talking about it at our get-together this morning and Diane mentioned that she saw instructions in the 301 manual which can be found at http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...d14d6145d0.pdf On the bottom of page 8 of the pdf (pg 16 of the manual) the paragraph above the ""NOTE:" it tells how to lay the treads so that when lower presser foot the threads will be firmly held. At the top of page 9 in bold is to make sure thread take-up lever is at its highest position. Then lower needle into fabric, lower presser foot, sew. She told us her mantra is "Needle down......foot down......sew" and it works for all machines.

You might want to try that.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Janey & John

Take out the bobbin case, if the machine has one, and check for any caught threads. Reroute the thread carefully and try stitching while holding the threads for two stitches. I find more bobbin problems that top problems with the problem you describe. Also rethread the top thread paying attention to alignment between the tension disks.

If you promise not to laugh, I'll tell you what I've done more than once - skipped the thread take up hole when threading the top. The result is what you describe, but I'm sure I'm the only one who does that. In my defense, the machine I do that on has the thread take up around toward the back.

This is a really common problem, easily solved. I'm wondering, though, before you try the methods above, if your stitches are going smoothly otherwise? Take a scrap and try starting your stitching about a inch from the end. Start with needle down, then make sure the presser foot is down, then sew. Everything smooth this way or is the thread flying out of the needle hole? are you getting any birds' nests under the fabric ? any foul sound (other than maybe bad words --LOL). If there's any of that, then rethread the machine, change tension little by little, till the stitches in are looking good.

Some needles just need to "take a bite" out of fabric when they start, and sometimes the bite isn't big enough, so it lands in the feed dogs. Using "leader" or scrap ahead of the "good" fabric you're sewing , will let your needle take that bite.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
    I have the same thing happen to me sometimes. I hold the two threads with one hand and do a couple of stitches. It helps a lot.
    I have been sewing for over 70 years and have always held the bobbin and top threads when I start a seam. When I sew with a group, most of them are Bernina owners, and when they hear me suggest to someone having snarled nests of thread problems, "Hold onto the threads for a few stitches when you start.", someone will always tell me that is not needed except for very old machines. Not all machines or operators are the same and better safe than sorry.

In 1960 in home ec. we were told to start sewing seams about 1/4" from top and backstitch to the top, continue to the opposite edge. This should eliminate the need for leaders.

My two straight stitch only machines don't have this problem. Some of my older machines do.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by elnan View Post
    I have been sewing for over 70 years and have always held the bobbin and top threads when I start a seam. When I sew with a group, most of them are Bernina owners, and when they hear me suggest to someone having snarled nests of thread problems, "Hold onto the threads for a few stitches when you start.", someone will always tell me that is not needed except for very old machines. Not all machines or operators are the same and better safe than sorry.
    That's interesting. I've always held the threads when I start. I've had 2 Berninas. The one I have now is my "new" one. It's 20 years old lol. In the guide class for that machine, they told us to hold the threads when starting. I do it on all my machines. As you say "better safe than sorry"
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    Are you using the single hole thread plate, or the zig-zag stitch thread plate? It makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Are you using the single hole thread plate, or the zig-zag stitch thread plate? It makes a difference.
    I second the advice from Peckish...a single hole thread plate helps. My machine didn't come with one, so I had to buy it.

I’ve had this problem happen to me because I seem to rest my leg against the hands free lever that raises the foot to allow you to pivot your fabric. Apparently it raises the foot enough that the contact of the foot and feed dogs don’t advance the fabric.

Hold onto your top thread, put your needle down, then up, pull up your bobbin thread to the top of your fabric. then start sewing. That should take care of the problem, otherwise, use a fabric leader.

Blog Entries
    I have never used a leader -- just hold the two threads for the first few stitches. Never have any problems.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

I am with those that suggest using leaders and enders. Have fun quilting and welcome to the board.

Thank you, everyone. I did re-thread my bobbin and get a different size needle. Both of those things worked!

If it's just the first few stitches that get all mucked up, it is probably the machine eating the thread.
    I took a 1 inch piece of sticky back velcro, using the loop side , stuck it on the back of the machine right behind the presser foot. Pull both threads back and into the loops. This holds the thread like a third hand. I've gotten used to shoving the thread back at the end of the seam so it's ready when I start sewing again. Syl
    Syl

Quote Originally Posted by ThreadHead View Post
    If it's just the first few stitches that get all mucked up, it is probably the machine eating the thread.
    I took a 1 inch piece of sticky back velcro, using the loop side , stuck it on the back of the machine right behind the presser foot. Pull both threads back and into the loops. This holds the thread like a third hand. I've gotten used to shoving the thread back at the end of the seam so it's ready when I start sewing again. Syl
    That's intetesting, I'll have to try it.

Blog Entries
    Use a sharper, thinner needle, and a single hole plate. If you dont have a single hole plate make one by putting painters tape over your zig zag hole and punch a hole in it with your sewing machine needle. I am going to try the velcro idea. I really need a third hand. Final resort is using a leader/ender (which I hate hate to do but will do when I am desperate)

Instead of just a scrap for leaders/Enders, use pieces you have cut for, say a scrappy......2" or 2-1/2" squares.or triangles, or whatever.....