Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: batik fabric ran onto parts of quilt-

Blog Entries
    A sample quilt made for son and wife has run. It's a sample quilt with dark blue boarders that has turned the yellows, whites and other light colors a murky shade of ugly. The dark fabric is a batik and I have never had a problem like this with all the quilt I've made. No, the fabric was not washed before making the quilts. Any hope to get the purple out? Will post pic later. I'm visiting in ny and just discovered the mess. I want to cry. Judy

hopefully you haven't dried it in the dryer, rewash in cold with colorcatcher, maybe more than once

Don't cry but never ever use batiks without washing at least once. I might say try powder OxiClean in some water, but see if anyone else responds to that. I've had luck just rewashing also and adding one of the Shout color absorbers if a fabric fades. Please don't cry . . . I'm sending hugs Jan

Kathy, do you think Oxi Clean would help brighten the lighter colors?
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    hopefully you haven't dried it in the dryer, rewash in cold with colorcatcher, maybe more than once

Are color catchers sold where the laundry detergent is or is it something that you have to maybe send for?

They are with the fabric softener sheets usually. I think all of the grocery stores, even WM, have them now. They are wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonisew

Are color catchers sold where the laundry detergent is or is it something that you have to maybe send for?

Oh! Oh!
    I did that once with a red and white quilt. Went running to my LQS and they suggested Synthrapol. Then I got home and was really scared because the directions say to wash in HOT water. I had no choice, so I tried it. It worked!!!!!

Someone posted recently about putting yogurt on it and letting it sit. That you could see the yogurt changing color. Good luck!

Blog Entries
    Hi what is synthrapol and where to buy? I've never heard of it Thanks

shout color catchers absorb loose dye, if it hasn't been heat set it should still be loose when you rewash, the sheets are readily available everywhere almost, in the laundry section with stain remover sprays. I think everyone should keep Synthaprol on hand, it's a textile detergent that keeps loose dye from setteling on other fabrics

I looked it up on line and it's on AMazon and also said JoAnn's. I'd call JoAnn's first, I've never seen it. Look it up on line. It's interesting the way it works with fabric dyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyhound Mom
    Hi what is synthrapol and where to buy? I've never heard of it Thanks

I had good luck with Oxiclean or Sun oxygen cleaner.....had a black run!

Blog Entries
    Many many years ago, before we had anything other than clorox bleasch, I had hand washrd a pair of pale pink shorts and then a pair of new navy blue one. Being a teen and not knowing better, I laid both wet pair on ther counter while I did something else. Of course, the blue ran and caused a huge stain on the pink. Mom told me to add some Clorox to the water and rinse the pink shorts. All the blue came out, but the pink was okay. Did it once on a red and white cotton knit shirt , worked then too.

I hope your quilt recovers with all these helpful tips.
    Maybe we should include some of these color catchers when we gift a quilt.

Use Syntropol ASAP!!! you can get it at most LQS.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for all your help. I used syntropol on the quilt and tons of purple came out. The lighter colors(white, yellows, and lighter shades) still aren't the right color. I sure did learn a lesson !!!!! I appreciate all the help and support. Judy R.(greyhound Mom)

shout color catchers absorb loose dye, if it hasn't been heat set it should still be loose when you rewash, the sheets are readily available everywhere almost, in the laundry section with stain remover sprays. I think everyone should keep Synthaprol on hand, it's a textile detergent that keeps loose dye from setteling on other fabrics

thanks for explaining that. I guess I should get some and keep them just in case.