Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Storing your stash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/storing-your-stash-t238601.html)

mamaborne 01-11-2014 07:36 PM

Great ideas, thank you so much for your input, everyone!

Rachel

sahm4605 01-11-2014 07:46 PM

I don't have a large stash by any stretch of the imagination and I use photo boxes in a china hutch for my fabric. I have them sorted by color and size. I like it because I can take the box out and then pull out the fabrics I am liking to use and sit on the floor and "pet" my fabric as I am deciding on what fabrics to use. And I also have one of those plastic drawer pullout cart things that in store fabric and projects in. I have to do it this way because my sewing area is a dinning room that is used for all sorts of things other than eating and sewing.

lwbuchholz 01-12-2014 04:09 AM

I found a hint on this board and I can't remember where or where to get the cards but they had cards you could print up and I punched holes in the corner and cut out about a 1 inch square and glued to the card and below that there are places to put the length on the fabric and content and width and if it is washed or not. I then put the fabric in plastic bins and put numbers on them. for instance I have a cotton #1 bin and blend#1 bin then I wrote on the bottom of the card which bin the fabric is in. I can take the cards to the shops to compare colors if I need to match fabrics. I wish I could remember where I found the printable cards but maybe someone here will remember.
Lynda

Originally Posted by mamaborne (Post 6506533)
So... I finally organized my office and I'm now ready to start quilting. I have a nice stash started from a few years back of samples I ordered from fabric.com. They are starting to pile up though, so I need to start thinking about storage ideas.

I was thinking of buying some pretty paper boxes to put them in, but then thought that having them visible might be a source of inspiration?

Anyone have/seen any great ideas on how to store your stash? I have a large wall where I could hang shelving, as one option. Sort of like the idea of containers better though, as they'll get dusty on a shelf, even if in bins.

Thanks!

JoyjoyMarie 01-12-2014 04:50 AM

I just recently moved my fabric from cardboard boxes (ugh!) into my old china closet that I finally asked hubby to move into the basement. It is so nice to be able to see my stuff, have it protected and yet have it easily available!! My table and sideboard were already down there- the table is a perfect work table, and the side board stores lots of craft stuff. I am really liking the way I reworked it. Have fun making your own space!

lclang 01-12-2014 05:02 AM

Two large wood cupboards with doors, one metal cupboard with doors, two shelving units in a closet space and some bins. Yes, I have a large stash!

Kris P 01-12-2014 05:11 AM

I have an 4 drawer chest of drawers (dresser) which i purchased for $3 at a garage sale up the block. I painted it white, and put new drawer pulls. It holds most of my fabric. All of my stash is ruler folded, except for the larger cuts. 1st drawer is fabric collections and other coordinating cuts 1+ yard. 2nd: All remnants from JoAnns. It is all ruler folded and arranged by color. Opening it is like looking at the fabric wall at JoAnn's . 3rd drawer: All flannels- which includes quite a bit of baby flannels- also arranged either by color or coordinating fabrics. 4th Drawer: Novelty, solids, and precuts.

Above the dresser is an open curio cabinet with several shelves which hold all my LQS fat quarters-- again, folded similarly and arranged by color and fabric lines.

RugosaB 01-12-2014 07:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I've posted this 'in progress' photo before, but you said you had a wall, so I'm sharing it again.
My husband and I bought a bunch of unfinished upper kitchen cabinets and stacked them along a wall where a full depth cabinet would not have worked
They're about 12" deep - fabric is easy to find, hidden by doors, and easily accessible. Luckily the doors hide the haphazard way the fabric is stored

lluke 01-12-2014 07:19 AM

I buy canvas storage units/shelves that hang on the rod in a closet. Bought mine at IKEA. I organize the fabric - by color-or theme - and I can see my fabric easily with this arrangement.

quiltinghere 01-12-2014 07:34 AM

About two years ago I put all my fabric on comic boards and placed them in open shelving units. Here's the QB board I posted pictures on http://www.quiltingboard.com/mission...s-t179823.html

I LOVE being able to hold a fabric I'm trying to match right up to the comic boarded fabrics. Easy! No need to dig! Fabrics are being used! Win! Win! Win!

Nan - Indiana

e.t.a. fabrics that are 'just less than one yard' are wrapped on 1/2 a comic board and placed in a large clear tote. It's very easy to use up 'just less than a yard' when you need a bit for a backing or to add to a quilt top!

mjhaess 01-12-2014 07:59 AM

I have mine on book shelves on foamcore boards. I cover my shelves with a light weight blanket to keep it clean and from fading.