Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   storing your thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/storing-your-thread-t167919.html)

Country1 11-13-2011 02:22 PM

romanojg- great point about the old quilts and their thread! I hadn't ever thought of it that way!

snow 11-13-2011 02:26 PM

I keep mine in a plastic container in a drawer so no sunlight gets on them.

jlm5419 11-13-2011 08:20 PM

I like the bins to keep the dust off. I do have a rack on the wall for some of my older thread, but then I have to clean the dust off before I can use it.

Jackie Spencer 11-14-2011 05:09 AM

Mine is throwed in a drawer. A couple of years ago I bought a pattern for a thread cubboard. It is so cute. It is deep enough for the cones and has several shelves, has a glass door, the wood around the glass is wooden yard sticks. and the knob on the door is an old wooden spool. My son in law is a carpenter, I gave him the pattern to make for me, but alas, he hasnt had time yet. Maybe someday.

nhweaver 11-14-2011 05:26 AM

I store my thread in plastic drawers, old plastic sewing boxes, in dresser drawers. I love a bargain and buy thread at auctions and yard sales. I stay away from the bargain names. Some of my cotton blends are 25-35 years old (from when I was sewing clothes, etc.), vintage cotton thread does "rot". I do a tension test before I use the thread. If it snaps when I pull on the thread, I throw it out. I know there are "thread purists" out there, but hey, I recycle, reuse, regift, stay away from anything made in China (if I can). I use thread from my stash when piecing by machine, I do use machine quilting thread when I quilt by machine, and hand quilting thread when I quilt by hand. All my piecing is done with my stash of thread. I love thread, I have hundreds of spools.

Originally Posted by newbee3 (Post 4672140)
I was gifted a thread holder wondering how many of you use them. I was under the impression it was better to store it in a drawer?? I was also told it has a life of 3 years. I know some of mine is more than that and seems to work okay.

lizzyq 11-14-2011 05:28 AM

I use those plastic Hot Wheels carriers that they usually have in Walmart around the holidays. They have different size compartments for different size spools - or cars, of course. Easy to tote too.

Judith1005 11-14-2011 05:33 AM

It is better to store them in something to keep the dust and LIGHT of them. Keeps them from getting dirty or faded. But, If don't keep so many and your going to use them up in a timely fashion...go ahead and use your gift. Maybe the colors will inspire you by keeping them in sight. :)

lynndianne 11-14-2011 05:34 AM

I use the plastic drawers also. Seems to keep dust out.

Lynn

EagarBeez 11-14-2011 05:35 AM

I have mine in plastic bags, they are not sealed, but, I have a small rolling chest. They are put in the one drawer.

mema5 11-14-2011 05:46 AM

I keep mine in the plastic carry things made for miniature cars. Bought a bunch of them when they were around $5 at Walmart. I have 3 for embroidery threads and 3 for piecing and quilting threads. Love the colors showing thru.