Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: storing your thread

Blog Entries

storing your thread

I was gifted a thread holder wondering how many of you use them. I was under the impression it was better to store it in a drawer?? I was also told it has a life of 3 years. I know some of mine is more than that and seems to work okay.

Blog Entries
    I store mine in a rolling plastic 3 drawer unit that I got at the dollar store. It works for me. I had one of the thread holders wth the pegs on it, but I had too many spools so I gave it away and went with the plastic drawers.

I keep mine in plastic bins with lids on them. Keeps things clean!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I've never understood how people can use the peg stands or the wall holders because my sewing room is always full of lint and dust from the fabrics. I vacuum at least three times a week and still have lint. I thought I must have the most fuzzy sewing room in the world. So with that said all my thread is also stored in a rolling drawer unit.

Blog Entries
    I keep mine on those peg stands. I know it could get dusty and I would have may have to replace it some day. But, I love having them handy and I can see quickly what I have and it is so easy to pick the thread I want to use. But, most importantly my young granddaughter loves to come and look at "grandma's colors".
    Happy Quilting.

Asheville, Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    I have it in the plastic pins with spool pegs. Much easier to pack it up and go when necessary. Now, iF I had only remembered to bring my 15 degree wedge tool with me.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

SEW
    Ditto...can't stand dusting thread spools!

I have 2 drawers , one for unused and one for in use.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariposa View Post
    I keep mine in plastic bins with lids on them. Keeps things clean!
    Same here. I have one bin for neutrals and one for the quilty colors.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

I have threads much older than 3 years...and I still sew with them without problems. It may be a sales pitch from the thread distribitors to get us to buy more than we really need to.

I also have thread more than 3 years old and have no problems with it. I store my thread in plastic boxes with dividers...have one for regular cotton thread, one for embroidery thread, and one for novelty threads. Then also have a drawer full of varigated colors for quilting.

My sewing room has two windows - south and west. Streams of sunlight!! All of my fabric and thread needs to be stored away from the sunlight. I use plastic tack boxes from Menards. Keeps them out of the sun and dust. I have 3 currently, but oh darn - was at Menards today and should have bought another!!
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
    I was also told it has a life of 3 years. I know some of mine is more than that and seems to work okay.
    Thread can dry out. We hear about it often here in the desert. Told if you put the thread in a plastic bag sealed up with a few drops of water overnight, it will rehydrate. I haven't tried it yet, but it's supposed to solve old, dry thread that is breaking. I haven't had a problem yet, but very little of my thread is older than a year.

Now, if you are in an area that is moist in the summer, I can't see it being an issue. When I lived along the Great Lakes we had 80% humidity a lot of the summer.

Oh, back on topic- I had my thread in a drawer, but I was given a peg stand as gift, so they are now on that.
    HQ18 Avante

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I keep mine in a clear over the door 12 pocket hanging shoe organizer... I can see all of it at a glance and I can shut the closet door to keep them fro getting dusty and out of the sunlight..

I use Acid free photo boxes with golf T's glued in the bottom set the spool over the T and there is room to store your matching bobbin if needed. Saw this Idea on QB works great, but I don't have a whole lot of thread, each box holds about 24 spools. I have a diffrent box for each type of thread.

Blog Entries
    My thread is in plastic tote bases (no lids) in drawers 'kind of' sorted by color - black/grey/white -- pink/purple -- orange/red/yellow -- blue/green -- handquilting thread -- speciality threads
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

I keep mine in rolling plastic drawers I bought at the Dollar store
    God creates miracles every day,you just have to look.

Blog Entries
    Newbee3, My grandmother always said to keep your thread "out of the sun". Her thread holder was always on the wall next to her machine. We never had any problems with the thread. When not in use (to keep dust off), my grandfather made a cover for this thread holder that just fit over the top (like a picture or a door without hinges). I know that as a young person sewing on this machine and using the thread from the wall was always a trip (just because of the lables on some of this thread would have a price like 15 ct - just think about the age of that thread). I know I use cookie/candy cans (with lids because I like the pictures), for my thread. That way I can have them out, but not all over.
    Quote Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
    I was gifted a thread holder wondering how many of you use them. I was under the impression it was better to store it in a drawer?? I was also told it has a life of 3 years. I know some of mine is more than that and seems to work okay.

I keep mine in bins too to keep the dust off and covered to keep the light off. I also have thread much older than 3 years and seems to be doing fine. I think they are concerned with rot but I have never found rotten thread.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

I found a wooden scrapbooking drawer unit that is the perfect size for thread, the drawer handles had preprinted titles on them (paper, glues, stickers, etc) I taped paper over it with the colors of the thread (reds & pinks, blues & purples, etc) it sits next to my machine and is perfect to just reach into.

My sweetie just finished builting me a cabinet for my threads. It is 4ft tall, 3 ft wide, has pegboard as the back so I just put those metal tool hangers in it and slip my thread on. Door closes keeping out dust and light. I love it, it is great. Holds about 100 cones of thread. I also have thread I have had for many years and I use it whenever, if I have a problem I pitch it out but it usually still works great. Thread costs too much not to use it.
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

Banned
    Don't believe the advice about thread only lasting 3 years..........I have thread from many years and still strong.
    If it doesn't easily break then use it. If thread only lasted 3 years think of all the quilts coming apart and we would be walking down the street with our clothes dropping off our body. I have never seen an expiration date on a spool of thread.
    Bah.....humbug!!!

KR
    I have two 3-drawer (scrapbook) cabinets from Michael's stacked next to my machine. One drawer holds a ton of thread and keeps them from getting dusty.
    Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift....that's why it's called the present.
    Karen

I bought some bins from te fishing dept of Walmart and I store my thread in them, They are a good buy instead of buying a quilt thread holder. Check out the fishing dept for diferent containers!

Blog Entries
    If thread has a life of 3 yrs then what is holding together those 100 yr old quilts; many have been washed mulitple times and some were done so on an old wash board. I almost got rid of my thread a few years ago that was old until I thought about all of those quilts still out there. I'm sure if thread had that short of life on a spool tucked away then it wouldn't even make it around for 3yrs once put into a quilt and used and abused. I have 2 thread holders and use them. I don't see a problem with it as long as it's not in the sun and gets used enough not to get to dusty
    Judy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast