Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storing thread >

Storing thread

Storing thread

Old 07-02-2011, 08:07 AM

With embroidery thread, how are you storing yours? I have mine in a wooden cabinet that stores all of my embroidery supplies, but the thread keeps unwinding. I was thinking about buying some more of the netting that you are supposed to use when it unspools easily and just using it for while it is in the cabinet. Where would you buy it in bulk?
I am new to the embroidery machine and loving it, but coming up with questions all the time.
I used to store my regular threads on a pegboard, but have recently moved them back to containers....way to many of them!
Old 07-02-2011, 08:23 AM

I keep mine in a drawer, my spool have a thing on the bottom where it opens up slightly to allow the thread to be wound around.

Plus I have over 200 spools I haven't even taken the shrink-wrap off of.

this is what the description said.....

"Polystar - Now With Snap Spools!
Are you tired of your embroidery thread unraveling on you? Well the Polystar 61 Embroidery Set is now wound on Snap Spools to prevent your thread from unraveling! Simply pull on the base of the spool, which is extremely simple thanks to the added ridges for grip, lay your thread in between the top of the spool and the bottom of the spool and simply push down. Your thread will no longer unravel and will stay nice and tidy in your Polystar Storage Box. The snap spool also helps you find the end of the thread easily."

my thread drawer
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219751[/ATTACH]

see how the spool looks like it's two pieces
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219752[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-219745.jpe   attachment-219746.jpe  
Old 07-02-2011, 08:27 AM

Thank You!!! I have Metro and Isacord and not opening till I need them. I kept looking at the bottom of the spool cause it was there to begin with. I just pulle the bottom slightly and voila!!!

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
I keep mine in a drawer, my spool have a thing on the bottom where it opens up slightly to allow the thread to be wound around.

Plus I have over 200 spools I haven't even taken the shrink-wrap off of.

this is what the description said.....

"Polystar - Now With Snap Spools!
Are you tired of your embroidery thread unraveling on you? Well the Polystar 61 Embroidery Set is now wound on Snap Spools to prevent your thread from unraveling! Simply pull on the base of the spool, which is extremely simple thanks to the added ridges for grip, lay your thread in between the top of the spool and the bottom of the spool and simply push down. Your thread will no longer unravel and will stay nice and tidy in your Polystar Storage Box. The snap spool also helps you find the end of the thread easily."
Old 07-02-2011, 08:34 AM

for the others ones, visit a florist and ask if the have any bud nets (they toss them) they're perfect and the price can't be beat!
Old 07-02-2011, 08:34 AM

Another tip for those spools without the extra piece is to use the sticker dots or reinforcement holes to secure the thread. I am sure that was posted here a while ago.

I love this board!
Old 07-02-2011, 08:43 AM

My embroidery thread is in a drawer. To keep it from unwinding, I cut some thread netting into 1" slices to keep the thread neat. When I ran out of that, I used some pony-tail bands from the $$ store to keep the end of the thread from unwinding. I prefer the netting, however. Must pick some up...
Old 07-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

or get some medium weight clear vinyl from WM or joanns. Cut strips about 1 1/2" X 5. Wrap around the spools. the vinyl will stick to itself and you can capture the loose end.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:02 AM

my aunt does a lot of embroidery on her machine, so she naturally has quite a bit. Her husband likes to do woodwork, so she had him build her a shelf storage peg board with tracks on it so she can slide it out, pull out what she wants, and push it back in. She also had him make her a sewing table that was the right height for her because she's tall. Of course, he enjoyed it as well because while he was doing his woodwork in the basement, she was upstairs sewing her heart away! I wish she lived closer!
Old 07-02-2011, 10:05 AM

I store my thread (Isacord) in clear plastic thread boxes I bought at JoAnns when they were on sale. I have 3 of them, they hold 20 spools each. I have them arranged by color. I have them stored in the bookshelf behind my sewing machine.

I use one of those thread holders when I embroider. It holds 10 threads and is the handiest gizmo ever! It's the cheapest on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Thread-Stand-S...9630122&sr=8-3

Can You See Them On the 2nd Shelf?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219804[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-219798.jpe  
Old 07-02-2011, 10:13 AM

I have a case of the Polystar thread that I bought over CL. The previous owner said her machine hated it. I found out my machine does not love it either. It's not as nice as others on the market! FWIW. They can keep their snap spools if the thread is junky: