Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   straight line quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/straight-line-quilting-t213538.html)

schoolteacher 02-11-2013 05:53 AM

straight line quilting

I am going to do some straight line quilting on my machine. Do I start in the middle and work myself to the outside or go on either side going to the other side? I have glue basted and have decided to try this and not handquilt. Thanks for any comments.

dd 02-11-2013 05:54 AM

I always start in the middle. Not sure if it makes a difference but that's what I have always done.

nhweaver 02-11-2013 06:03 AM

I start in the middle, and use a walking foot.

DOTTYMO 02-11-2013 06:12 AM

Always start in the middle using a walking foot. If you are doing straight parallel lines follow same rule as sewing up one way down the other. Make sure you also stop with needle down every time. I usually go from centre north south east and west then quilt rest.

Tartan 02-11-2013 06:31 AM

​You are supposed to start in the middle and stitch outward with your walking foot so any extra fabric goes to the edge. Check your batting package for how far apart the lines of stitching can be.

bigsister63 02-11-2013 06:37 AM

I ususally start in the center and work out all four directions. and then alternate the direction of the stitching for the rest. That said- when using spray basting I do not think it really matters since the spray basting tends to hold the quilt top in place and it will not slide/move much during quilting. Also I just use my regular sewing foot when straight line stitching/SID. I can raise the pressfoot tension so I don't see much difference when not using the walking foot.

dakotamaid 02-11-2013 07:25 AM

All of the above is true BUT when I do kid's donation quilts (and I do a lot of them!) I simply start at one side and work in. The next line I reverse (just like in piecing long strips of fabric.) and my quilting always comes out really well. :)

Scissor Queen 02-11-2013 07:35 AM

I never start in the middle and I always sew from the same side. As long as it's really well basted you don't have to start in the center.

Buckeye Rose 02-11-2013 07:54 AM

I also glue baste with glue lines about 3" apart....I always start on one corner and go all the way across....and then go same direction with next line until I get that side done, then flip quilt around and do other side....if you have basted well enough, you will not have problems

QuiltE 02-11-2013 08:14 AM

First I would have spray basted, then I would start at the edge about 1/2 way along the side and go across.
Next. 1/2 way across the end and go the full length.

After that I would continue on, wherever logical. As I get to the edge then I travel/stitch along the outside edge that will be covered with the binding to where I want to stitch next. If that's too far away, then I'd lockstitch leaving ends to bury. Then go to the next spot and start again. And so on!