Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Straight stitch machines with auto thread cutters. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/straight-stitch-machines-auto-thread-cutters-t305986.html)

Onebyone 07-27-2019 01:09 PM

Straight stitch machines with auto thread cutters.

I went to a great straight stitch machine demo class today. Brother and Juki were the two top brands. When the rep was explaining about bobbins, he mentioned never use a bobbin with holes in it on the machine. The thread cutter will go into the hole and he said you would not like him at all after that. have a Brother 1500 and it froze up when I used the thread cutter. I had to take it in to be repaired. I was never told about the bobbin could be the cause and I did have a bobbin in it with the holes. Still used the bobbins. It happened again. I had always used the bobbins that came with the machine but for some reason I started using some with the holes. I gave up on the Brother and got a Juki and thank goodness I haven't changed the bobbins. I know many here have the Brother 1500 so please use the solid bobbins. I loved my Brother. I may get it repaired once again now I know the probable cause of the freeze up. Oh I love the Juki too.

juliasb 07-27-2019 01:12 PM

Good information that you shared. I have a 1500 series Brother and have always used the solid bobbins that came with my machine. My biggest problem with the bobbins is I somehow like to get them in backwards.

Onebyone 07-27-2019 01:17 PM

It does have an awkward bobbin space. That was my only con about the machine.

SusieQOH 07-27-2019 02:02 PM

Thanks for passing along valuable advice.
Btw- which Juki did you buy? I have the TL2010Q and it looks a lot like pictures of Brothers I've seen.

Iceblossom 07-27-2019 02:42 PM

And on the other hand, my Bernina's bobbins do have holes in them, but only one side.

I'm loving the thread cutter. At first it didn't seem like that big a deal but I've noticed I'm much less covered with threads than usual :)

Jingle 07-27-2019 04:11 PM

I have two straight stitch only machines that I use all the time, no thread cutter on my Juki, Baby Lock Jane has one. I only use the solid bobbins on them. I have the bobbins with holes for other machines I have but never use those machines now. They don't have thread cutters. They were made before thread cutters were used.

Onebyone 07-27-2019 04:54 PM

I decided to buy this one: https://jukiquilting.com/products/j-150qvp.html It's about $5500 including all the feet and table with extension fold out. It has an oil tank an motor is mounted underneath the table. So many great features for a straight stitch. It sewed like a dream. I did a better job quilting on it then on the Juki Long Arm or the other LA set ups. I liked it better then the sit down quilting machines. Right now I have the Juki TL 98 Q. I like it and it does a great job of piecing and machine quilting. I want to upgrade before I get too old to care. LOL

SusieQOH 07-27-2019 04:59 PM

That's a beautiful machine!!! Sounds like a good one to get.

Macybaby 07-28-2019 06:23 AM

My Juki Industrial 8700 has bobbins with holes (cut out circles all around). It does not have a thread cutter though.

I've found the regular Juki 2010 bobbins fit just fine, but they get a bit hot in use. I figure the holes for the industrial are needed to help dissipate heat for a machine that can sew around 5,000 - 6,000 stitches per minute. Not that I"m sewing anywhere near that!

Overall, I much prefer my Juki8700 to the Juki2010 for straight stitching. The only thing I liked better with the Juki2010 is the bobbin winder!

mama's place 07-28-2019 11:10 AM

The Bobbin winder on my Juki TL2200 QVP is a puzzle to me. It should be a no brainer......no pun intended. Might be my issue. But, my husband can work it but I end up with the biggest mess. I think I have a virus that affects every cell phone or machine that I try to use. Not giving up though.