Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Strange Quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/strange-quilter-t56751.html)

Borntohandquilt 07-28-2010 11:50 PM

When I read all the topics here on the board I always feel like a really strange and weird quilter:

I like patchwork and appliqué, but I don't do it.
I own a sewing machine, but I don't use it.
I have a rotary cutter, but I only use it for cutting the selvages of my fabric.
I never buy fat quarters.
I have a fabric stash, but every piece of fabric has at least 5 yards.
I use cotton prints for the quilt backing, not for the top.
I use solids for the quilt top, not for the backing.
I never use sewing thread, I put together fabric length with hand quilting thread.
I don't need a sewing room, a comfortable chair near the window and my hoop on a stand is enough.
I don't collect patchwork patterns, I collect quilting patterns.
I don't need machine needles, I only need betweens.
I have never used a seam ripper.
I don't use my rulers for cutting fabrics, I use it for marking grids on quilt tops.
I never put a binding on my quilts, I do a knife edge.

You see I'm a quilter - but a very strange one! :lol: :thumbup:

jemma 07-28-2010 11:59 PM

what is a knife edge? individual is not wierd just different--i love to see whole cloth quilts--i made one once 10x10 inches got it right out of my system!!!!

Borntohandquilt 07-29-2010 12:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A knife edge is a kind of self binding. You just fold the top and backing to the inside and close the quilt with a running stitch. This method was mostly used for the traditional North Country and Welsh Quilts from UK.

patricej 07-29-2010 12:20 AM

i would never categorize you as wierd.

talented
practical
talented
thrifty
talented

are you detecting a theme here? ;-)

quilterella 07-29-2010 02:04 AM

AWESOME would be the word to discribe you! I only wish I was so talented...instead I rely on my Janome 6600 for piecing the quilt and quilting it. I also rely on the rotary cutter and rulers. Congratulations on being able to do it all by hand...I envy you.

Borntohandquilt 07-29-2010 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
are you detecting a theme here? ;-)

I'm fishing for compliments...

:lol:

moonrise 07-29-2010 02:19 AM

I have to say AWESOME too! :thumbup: To be honest, if I had to hand-quilt or hand-piece, I'd probably never do it. My attention span and patience are both near zero. :lol:

Linda1 07-29-2010 02:19 AM

Every time I see your work the word I think of is not wierd but amazing.

mlaceruby 07-29-2010 03:01 AM

Your work is Beautiful!
and you are not weird, you just have one form as I like to call it of quilting.
I like to try and work with all methods! It makes you appreciate the truely talented like yourself!

Pam in WV 07-29-2010 03:24 AM

You work is amazing. I wonder, do you use a little darker thread on the quilt, rather than white on the white top. I have read somewhere that this is a good idea and it used to be done years ago. Pam