Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Straw needles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/straw-needles-t280484.html)

bearisgray 07-17-2016 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy (Post 7603288)
You will probably be horrified if I tell you what needle I use for hand-sewing. LOL
I have two favourite needles...one is big and the other extra long. I bought all kinds of
needles to find that size. Came in those variety pack but have no idea which one.
I even sew my binding with it...on a mini quilt. Can't even tell I used a big needle. :D:thumbup:

So - which needle do you use?

Aurora 07-17-2016 06:50 AM

I use John James Gold Big Eye #10 Quilting needles for all hand sewing.

EasyPeezy 07-17-2016 08:46 AM

Still don't really know which one. They came from those variety packs
and said packs don't tell you which is which. Good thing is that those
needles last a long time. I guess I'll just keep buying variety packs
and pick the ones that feels good in my hands.
The Roxanne basting needles is one of them. The other one is from
the variety pack.

Karen Mc 07-18-2016 03:07 PM

I really like using a number 10 straw needle for hand applique ( and silk thread which makes your stitches disappear). I have just continued using this needle for hand sewing, sewing on the bindings etc. I think you should try different needles and find one you like.

Nanny's dollface 07-18-2016 06:16 PM

Well had a good laugh on this post thinking the discussion was about Straw needles and thinking how could straw be strong enough to sew with! Either my naïveté is showing or my blonde head....maybe a bit of both! LOL

Jane Quilter 07-18-2016 08:41 PM

a straw needle is similar to a sharp except it is longer. and I have a hard time getting my thimble finger behind it because it is so long. The size 11 is a nice skinny straw with a tiny eye (ok for silk thread only), but again too long for my fingers. Straws were for hatmaking and gathering fabric where extra length is needed. Because they are so skinny they dont leave a big hole for applique. So I use a skinny, size 11, sharp for applique. Its the best compromise for me. John James is the brand I use.

Bree123 07-18-2016 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter (Post 7605291)
The size 11 is a nice skinny straw with a tiny eye (ok for silk thread only), but again too long for my fingers.

I have no problem getting Aurifil 50/2 cotton through the size 11 JJ milliner's. I was struggling with the thimble & what finger to put it on. I kept using my index finger even though that's also the finger I use to sew. I finally got some of those Poke-a-Dot sticky thimbles and just stick it just to the left of where I hold the needle. It works perfectly for straws. If I find myself getting a dimple somewhere else because I've changed how I'm pushing the needle through, I just either move the thimble or add a 2nd thimble sticker on.