Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Straw needles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/straw-needles-t280484.html)

kjackson 07-16-2016 01:16 PM

Straw needles

Hello,

I heard Eleanor Burns say that straw needles are the best for hand sewing. On Amazon all of the straw needles say they are milliner's needles. Does anyone know which straw needles to use and what size?

Thanks,

Karen

Tartan 07-16-2016 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like a John James needle for hand sewing. It has a bigger eye but is super sharp..[ATTACH=CONFIG]554063[/ATTACH]

kjackson 07-16-2016 01:36 PM

Thanks, I think I saw those on Amazon. I will order these!

EIQuilter 07-16-2016 01:39 PM

I think straw needles are a good choice for hand applique, but I don't think I'd use them for hand sewing. You might have to try different needles to find out what works best for you, but I generally prefer using quilting needles for hand sewing. I'm sure they wouldn't be everyone's choice, but they work for me.

kathy 07-16-2016 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7603239)
I like a John James needle for hand sewing. It has a bigger eye but is super sharp..[ATTACH=CONFIG]554063[/ATTACH]

embroidery needles always have a long eye because it's made to take more than one thread. What is a straw needle? are they hollow? I got one once attached to a business cards but it just said "try our straw needles" so I don't know what brand or size, it was pretty long (like a basting needle) and very thin and sharp. I used it for applique and really liked it.

ckcowl 07-16-2016 01:49 PM

Straw needles and Milners are about the same, just two names for same item. Headers often use straw needles because the shaft is straight-- the same width from eye to point, instead of ( bulging) in the center. They are long, smooth & straight. I like them for some sewing, sometimes a shorter needle is a better choice. Trying a variety of needles will allow you to choose the needles You like best. :) I never use Betweens ( or quilting needles) because for me they are just too short. I have friends who always use them for hand sewing. We each have our likes.

dunster 07-16-2016 01:57 PM

I love straw needles with silk thread for hand applique because they pierce the fabric so easily. They're hard to thread though, with a tiny eye. Experiment until you find what you prefer.

tessagin 07-16-2016 01:58 PM

It always depends on how my hands are working at the time.

bearisgray 07-16-2016 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 7603254)
It always depends on how my hands are working at the time.

And on what needle eye I can get threaded!

I prefer a thin needle for most sewing - it pokes through the fabric more easily - but sometimes I have to work up to thicker ones when the thread won't cooperate with me sometimes.

EasyPeezy 07-16-2016 02:55 PM

You will probably be horrified if I tell you what needle I use for hand-sewing. LOL
I have two favourite needles...one is big and the other extra long. I bought all kinds of
needles to find that size. Came in those variety pack but have no idea which one.
I even sew my binding with it...on a mini quilt. Can't even tell I used a big needle. :D:thumbup: