Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   String Quilt foundation - dryer sheets? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/string-quilt-foundation-dryer-sheets-t295148.html)

Peckish 02-28-2018 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 (Post 8013385)
I always wonder what it would do to the fabric over the years.

This was something that I worry about, too.

Years ago when I was a baby quilter, I tried this. My goal was to make turning under some applique leaves and petals easy on myself by sewing the fabric to a dryer sheet, then cutting a slit in the dryer sheet, flip the fabric through the slit to the right side, and then press the edges and voila! the applique edges are turned under and ready to go.

Well. By the 10th or 11th leaf, the scent from the used dryer sheets was making me nauseous, and I am not sensitive to chemicals and scents. I abandoned the dryer sheets and went with a wash-away product.

Jingle 02-28-2018 06:39 PM

The national brand dryer sheets use to last by 4-5 uses. Now I am lucky to do one load with them. They are now very flimsy after one use. I only use them in the dryer to keep down static electricity.

I don't use them like the above people do.

NZquilter 02-28-2018 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 8013408)
This was something that I worry about, too.

Years ago when I was a baby quilter, I tried this. My goal was to make turning under some applique leaves and petals easy on myself by sewing the fabric to a dryer sheet, then cutting a slit in the dryer sheet, flip the fabric through the slit to the right side, and then press the edges and voila! the applique edges are turned under and ready to go.

Well. By the 10th or 11th leaf, the scent from the used dryer sheets was making me nauseous, and I am not sensitive to chemicals and scents. I abandoned the dryer sheets and went with a wash-away product.

I had the same experience. And I was using the unscented ones too. There was/is some chemical in them that made my hands slick and feel funny. It wasn't an experiment I'll try again.

charlottequilts 02-28-2018 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter (Post 8013424)
I had the same experience. And I was using the unscented ones too. There was/is some chemical in them that made my hands slick and feel funny. It wasn't an experiment I'll try again.

I had trouble with my low-water washer unexpectedly and randomly depositing black stuff on clothes. Turns out, one of the best remedies was discontinuing dryer sheets, as they contain a surfactant that deposits a fatty substance on the fabric that can stay in through multiple washes. Between the surfactant on the fabric and the water/soap combo that lingers in the lines after using the washer, gunky stuff built up until a heavier load shook it loose.

I think dryer sheets could surely be used as stabilizers, but you'd need to be sure the coating was truly out of there. They don't recommend them as cleaners for irons for nothing. Warm the iron and the oily stuff helps dissolve the gunk.

hugs,
charlotte

Jennie and Me 02-28-2018 08:45 PM

I've used (used) dryer sheets in several string quilts and love the results. Plus, I like the recycling idea.

Lena1952 03-01-2018 04:20 AM

I make lots of string quilts and use Easy Pattern or Pattern Ease ( which ever one is in stock). It is used to trace multiple pattern sizes so you do not destroy the original. I feels similar to a dryer sheet but without added fragrance or chemicals. It is 45" wide, inexpensive, does not need to be removed after sewing strips, washable and lightweight.

railroad 03-01-2018 06:08 AM

For all of our charity string quilts we use old sheets as our foundations. They stay on, are thin, doesn't matter if they have a hole or two, works great. Endless supplies in thrift stores.

shasta5718 03-01-2018 07:45 AM

Use an old well washed sheet, or get some thin fabric and you can just not worry about it.

baskets4moo 03-01-2018 08:23 AM

I've made lots of string quilts with used dryer sheets. I'm sensitive to chemicals so I hand wash the used sheets with a dab of Dawn dish detergent. It just takes a few seconds in the bathroom sink and then spread them to dry on the counter. They dry in a few minutes and no ironing necessary.

Innov8R 03-01-2018 08:44 AM

I am committed to recycling and am using dryer sheets with applique. I have been saving some ends and pieces for a string quilt and am anxious to try them as a foundation. I do recommend using them MORE than once before recycling though. You want to be sure all the fabric softener is out of them. Any remaining chemical could leave a spot on the fabric.