Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
String Quilt foundation - dryer sheets? >

String Quilt foundation - dryer sheets?

String Quilt foundation - dryer sheets?

Old 02-28-2018, 06:46 AM

Default String Quilt foundation - dryer sheets?

What are the pro's and con's of using dryer sheets as a foundation for string piecing?

I will Not be hand-quilting this, so that's one issue I can avoid.

Thanks

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-28-2018 at 07:14 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 02-28-2018, 09:59 AM

I would never personally even try it! Unused dryer sheets would get chemicals on your fabric, and used ones come out of the dryer wrinkled so ironing them would be necessary (time consuming even if they didn't stick to the iron!)
Yes, paper has to be removed, but I've been pleased with pages from old telephone books. One project needed lots of string blocks of near- and off-white, and I had no ink from the pages on the fabric.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:04 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

I use them all the time. I use unscented ones several times and take them out and smooth them while still warm. No problems so far. I am making blocks with scraps and will put together as soon as I get enough.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

if you don't mind the scent or you can use unscented, they work fine.
I also keep a few around for making applique circles. I draw my circle on the back of my fabric, lay it face down on a dryer sheet and stich all around on the line. I cut a slit in the dryer sheet and turn the circle right side out. Gently work the edge out (sheets are fragile) press and you can cut away the center of the dryer sheet or not, and machine sew the circle to the background.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:40 AM

Quilting Cat ... thanks for your thoughts. I'm one of those rare people who enjoys ironing. Seriously ... I plug in a good book and "zone out" with the iron!! As for using phone books .... I would, if I could find a phone book! I've not seen one years!!

Terry & Tartan ... thanks for your thoughts. Thanks Tartan for the additional hack of using them for turn-under applique. I think I'm going to try that technique.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:28 AM

The question is - will you leave the dryer sheets on the string blocks when you make the quilt?

Con: Dryer sheets are highly flammable, so if your intention is to leave them on the blocks, well, not a good idea.

Con: Scent is another issue, as some people cannot tolerate artificial fragrance.

How about trying it with a paper towel that you can easily tear off when each block is complete? I have never done that, so, if you try it, let us know how it works.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:06 PM

I use old dryer sheets all the time both for foundation piecing and for applique. After a run through the dryer they have no scent. They're not difficult to iron - just set the iron on low and one swipe takes care of any wrinkles.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

I make it easy on myself and use Stable Stuff by Ricky Tims. I don't quilt to recycle or make something new out of something old.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:27 PM

I also like Ricky Tim's Stable Stuff... But I also use the dryer sheets. The size of the sheets limits the size of the block, but other wise I really like using them. I have never had any issues with them but then my mantra is that I do not quilt for profits, prizes, or posterity. I want my quilts to be used and enjoyed
Old 02-28-2018, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

I would be afraid of the stuff they are made of. I always wonder what it would do to the fabric over the years.