Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
String Quilt foundation - dryer sheets? >

String Quilt foundation - dryer sheets?

String Quilt foundation - dryer sheets?

Old 03-02-2018, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Don't get me started on those laundry and dishwasher pods. I have so many friends who have had to pay repairmen to come repair their machines because those pods don't dissolve completely, and they gum up the works. I'm sticking to liquid detergents.
I just had a new dishwasher installed, and the installer (who is also a repairman) said to use the pods - specifically Finish or Cascade. This was also the recommendation from the manufacturer. He said the liquids or powders leave a film on the inside of the machines and on the dishes. Maybe it depends on which brand you use. Or maybe the repairman is just making business for himself. Haha.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:24 PM

Finish makes a liquid detergent too...
Old 03-02-2018, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lena1952 View Post
I make lots of string quilts and use Easy Pattern or Pattern Ease ( which ever one is in stock). It is used to trace multiple pattern sizes so you do not destroy the original. I feels similar to a dryer sheet but without added fragrance or chemicals. It is 45" wide, inexpensive, does not need to be removed after sewing strips, washable and lightweight.
So glad I read this today! I have a bunch of that I can use for the blocks for the plaid shirt quilt. Thanks!
Old 03-03-2018, 05:13 AM

I use Pattern Ease for foundation all the time and like how easy it is to use - the one I buy has a light grid printed on it. It can be left on the block, is washable, unscented and inexpensive. Some ladies use it for a light stabilizer behind their embroidery work.

Another option is using the fabric that makes up a white bridal aisle runner - the texture is like a Pellon interfacing product. - is extremely long and not expensive for the amount of fabric. I still have the one from my daughter's wedding and it will last me forever - heavier than the Pattern Ease but easy to remove from blocks.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:46 AM

I think I would try using the "tail end" of print rolls from the newspaper producer. I can get them very inexpensively for what I want to use them for.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:48 PM

I'm with you, Mkotch. I don't like to use foundation of any sort in my string quilts. I just add a strip, press, and add another strip. I tried using backing papers, but that's just too much work to remove the bits of leftover paper.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:35 PM

I use them, but only after they’ve been used in the dryer.
There is a basket on top of my dryer for the used ones and I
Just give them a quick pressing along with my strips. I also use
them as backing for appliqué.