Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Don't Use Dryer Sheets for String Quilting or Applique

Please Don't Use Dryer Sheets for String Quilting or Applique

I love string quilts. I commonly see folks posting thrifty tips about using used dryer sheets for applique or string quilting, but it's not a great idea. The chemicals and fragrances can cause allergy problems, and no one would ever think the trigger was Inside the quilt! This could cause unnecessary medical tests and treatments, and could even be life threatening. Unscented dryer sheets still contain other chemicals. If the quilt goes to someone with recent surgery an unexpected cough or sneeze could rupture stitches. Dryer sheets might not be a problem for you, but who gets the quilt after you? I'm a retired Nurse Practitioner, and have mild asthma. I wonder if the chemicals will degrade or discolor the fabrics as time goes on. I'd recommend using clean white sheets or lightweight interfacing for stabilizer instead.

Muslin is also a good foundation. Or lighter, ugly, fabric you'll never use.

Very good advice.
    Lynn

Blog Entries
    I always layer my backing and batting and then string piece on top of the layer. The block is quilted as I go.
    Got fabric?

I use pages from the phone book. (tear out before quilting, of course)
    Long arm quilting in Carmel, Indiana http://quiltcycle.blogspot.com/

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I can't believe we can get free advice from a medical professional!!!! This is the greatest board! You probably just helped quite a few people with your advice!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I was thinking of using them but I guess I will stick to muslin now. I bought a roll of the cheapest stuff I could find so I will have enough for a while.

Thanks for the tip.

I like using the cheap fabric ($1 yard) from WalMart and/or Joann's. The stuff you can see your hand through. I wash it to shrink it, then I cut it into strips and/or squares for making string quilts. It's a lot nicer than dryer sheets and/or paper that has to be torn out.

yes, I do the ugly fabric thing ;-)

Thanks for posting this--I am sensitive to fragrances! Recently I bought a couple of yards of lightweight interfacing.
    Jean

I am sensitive to fragrances and I use "used" fabric softener sheets in my string quilts. After the quilt is made, I always put it through a wash and if there is any chemical or smell left, believe me, I will know it. It is also pretty easy to see if a sheet has any softener left in it.
    Sam @ Samantha's House.blogspot.com
    SamanthasHouse @Etsy.com

Well I am one who uses "used" dryer sheets in my string quilts and no one has suffered or complained yet. I always put my finished quilt through a wash before donating it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
    Sam @ Samantha's House.blogspot.com
    SamanthasHouse @Etsy.com

Great input, I would hate for the quilts I donate to be hurting the recipient or my loved ones.

Thank you for this information. I usually use a cheaper muslin for string quilts. We don't need chemicles in bed with us or others we give quilts to. Lord knows we are surrounded with enough chemicals as it is!

Thanks for the reminder for everyone! I myself am sensitive to chemical smells, so have never used them. Muslin works great for me!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Power Poster
    Retired Nurse Pratitioner? What great advice!
    You should have been a doctor!

My mom gets used white sheets donated from a motel for her Lutheran World Relief quilts. After she has cut the sheet to the required 60 x 80, there is usually enough left to cut into squares that I use as stabilizer for my strip quilts. Those pieces have been washed so many times, I know they won't shrink.

Dayle

agreed. Not many would consider this if they didn't have problems themselves.

The string quilts are for my family and no one has any problem with them, except maybe too eager to save the dryer sheets for me. One rule doesn't fit all.
    Life is made up of bits and pieces. You won't know how it'll turn out till its done.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the advice on not using used dryer sheets for applique. I assumed that the fragrance and chemicals came out of the sheets once they were used. I set aside a couple of used dryer sheets that I was going to use to applique a few hearts on a car seat quilt for the baby that my SIL is expecting in June. I think I'll find something else.

Power Poster
    Thanks for the advice never thought of it. Have never used them and have used old phone books,.

Blog Entries
    i was just thinking today of how the clothing in department stores used to absoutely stink on the racks. luckily the smell would wash out but i didn't do a lot of shopping in stores that had all that scent!!

Thank you for speaking out Monroe! I am highly allergic to most soaps, any type of scents, and many, many other things that most people can not imagine. Just because it's been washed doesn't completely remove all chemicals. What might be ok after washing for some people can be very dangerous for another. It terrifies me everytime someone mentions how they use the scented starchs or other fragrances when they give a gift quilt. And also know I would not tell someone I was reacting to their gift as I wouldn't want to offend them. But the biggest fear is what was mentioned, a person might be reacting to the used softener sheet inside a quilt and have no idea that is what is causing their heath issues. Sorry if this offends anyone, but I hope we might be saving someone from a bad reaction that could hurt them medically.

Kat

Blog Entries
    I had never thought about this as an issue - and I have a child who is very sensitive to scents - the few I have made have had the sheets put through the dryer many times - use them until they are useless - then iron them between newspaper to get the oils out of them.

I am glad that I have only made a couple of them and will rethink using them in the future. I know that it might seem like a small thing to some people, but to others it may not.

Personally, I don't use dryer sheets anymore since my Maytag book says not to, evidently they aren't good for our dryers - who would have thought ...

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for sharing.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast