Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please Don't Use Dryer Sheets for String Quilting or Applique >

Please Don't Use Dryer Sheets for String Quilting or Applique

Please Don't Use Dryer Sheets for String Quilting or Applique

Old 03-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Power Poster

wow! i usually think of myself as pretty careful bc of allergies and such in our family, but i hadn't thought about this.
Thank you for posting this information. I am definitely not going to ever use dryer sheets, and I haven't yet, thank goodness!
Old 03-29-2012, 05:16 PM

Another option is to go to your local thrift store (Value Village, St. Vincent's, Goodwill) and look for bed skirts. These are good in two ways. 1st, tear or cut the good fabric that hangs/shows away from the white fabric that covers the top of your bottom mattress (the part you never see). Use this part of the bed skirt for stabilizer, strip quilts, etc...it is sometimes better fabric than you would think, but almost always better than dryer sheets.

The second thing: I use the good fabric that was removed from the white center part, for borders. Some bedskirts are of questionable quality. Most are probably 50 cotton/50 poly. However, if you make a regular habit of shopping for bedskirts, you will find quite a few that are nice 100% cotton . When you find these, you will have fabric that may only be about 12 to 15 inches wide, but there is no seam for a long time. There is always plenty of width for those borders, and what a joy to not have to piece your border. Especially if you are making a quilt for kids that will take a lot of abuse and have to get washed frequently, you have quick, easy and seamless borders. Regards
Old 03-29-2012, 05:22 PM

Default String Quilts

I've never heard of the term "string quilt". Could you explain this procedure? Thank you.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Muslin is also a good foundation. Or lighter, ugly, fabric you'll never use.
I agree with the muslin but the ugly might show though if you use white or a light color over it. test for show ugly first.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ms Darlene View Post
I think they mean that you can use them once they've served their purpose in the dryer. I don't think much of the fragrance or chemicals remains in each sheet after it's been used. I'll still use them (after they are used in the dryer).
Actually, from what I understand, the use that is being discussed is reusing the dryer sheet after it has been in the wash. I have too many allergies, so have never had any desire to save my dryer sheets (plus I even get the fragrance free), as I don't want to continually expose myself to them. And the original poster was not saying "do not use them ever", but was posting to make quilters aware that they could pose a problem to many people and that many of these people may have no clue that the dryer sheets are what's causing the problem.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by moonshineiws View Post
I've never heard of the term "string quilt". Could you explain this procedure? Thank you.
String quilts make use of small strips of fabric. The strip are typically sewn onto a foundation to stabilize the block. For more info you can check out Bonnie Hunter's page on String Quilts or google search for other ideas. http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...ng-primer.html
Old 03-29-2012, 07:41 PM

Moonshineiws- String quilting is a very old thrifty method of using every last bit and strip of fabric by sewing pieces together and to a backing piece of paper or fabric to stabilize and strengthen them. If you google String Quilting you'll come up with many wonderful quilts, clothes, and accessories. They can be planned color schemes or scrappy. Bonnie Hunter has written books about using men's shirts and thrifty scraps, and has a blog and Yahoo group called Heartstrings for making donation quilts. A few years ago folks started using used dryer sheets as free stabilizer that smelled pretty, but even when washed the used dryer sheets can retain chemicals and fragrances that might be a problem for some folks, even when you can't smell them. It's not just the perfumes- detergents and unwashed fabric can be a problem also. Washing quilts several times should remove the dryer sheet and other chemicals from the surface, but it is more of an issue when the dryer sheets are used Inside the quilt- as backing for applique or string quilting. To avoid allergy problems it is better not to recycle used dryer sheets in quilts, esp if they are for gifts or donation. There are many good ideas from contributors to this thread for using paper, other fabrics, and fabric stabilizer for little to no cost. String quilting is fun, and a great way to use up every last bit of that expensive fabric you paid for. I like the bedskirt idea- will have to keep an eye out for a good one. I've been recycling pretty pillowcases into dresses for Little Dresses for Africa at my sister's church, teaching others to sew. I come from a big family with very little money, and Mom made almost all the clothes for the 4 girls. Scraps went to my Great Aunt for hand pieced and treadled Bow Tie quilts.
I started this thread to caution about quilting with used dryer sheets to pass along information, and appreciate all the input. This Group is great for collaborating!
Old 03-30-2012, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by g mom View Post
What do you use for static control if not dryer sheets. I did not realize that this was or could be the cause of some of our problems. I appreciate your answer.
crumpled up piece of aluminum foil works great in the dryer for static cling
Old 03-30-2012, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
I love string quilts. I commonly see folks posting thrifty tips about using used dryer sheets for applique or string quilting, but it's not a great idea. The chemicals and fragrances can cause allergy problems, and no one would ever think the trigger was Inside the quilt! This could cause unnecessary medical tests and treatments, and could even be life threatening. Unscented dryer sheets still contain other chemicals. If the quilt goes to someone with recent surgery an unexpected cough or sneeze could rupture stitches. Dryer sheets might not be a problem for you, but who gets the quilt after you? I'm a retired Nurse Practitioner, and have mild asthma. I wonder if the chemicals will degrade or discolor the fabrics as time goes on. I'd recommend using clean white sheets or lightweight interfacing for stabilizer instead.
Thank you for this information - I'd have never thought about it. I, like many others, figured they were "safe" after being used several times. More problems we do NOT need!... a good example of being penny-wise and pound-foolish. I have a pile of them - out they go! Old telephone directories are great for this purpose, and the pages tear right off, especially if you use short stitches.

Last edited by Alondra; 03-30-2012 at 05:01 PM.