Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   string quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/string-quilt-t250284.html)

SylviaBurton 07-17-2014 05:59 AM

string quilt

Hello fellow quilters, I am currently working on a string quilt using muslin foundation. I've been wondering how to do the border since it will be only one layer and not double as the blocks are. Should anything be added so the border will be the same weight as the main part of the quilt. The border will not be very wide since the blocks will measure approx. 80x90. This is my first foundation quilting project. I have searched the internet and have not found anything referring to adding a border to foundation blocks.

ckcowl 07-17-2014 06:07 AM

What kind of border are you planning to add? I don't think I've ever seen a border added to a string quilt before. How wide will it be? Will it be pieced (like blocks of some sort)? Or solid, strips of fabric? If it is just solid strips and fairly narrow (like only a couple inches) you probably won't need a foundation.... But wider you might want one... Lots of variables, depending on the type/size of border.

Homespun 07-17-2014 06:15 AM

I have a string quilt on my avatar pieced on muslin, then a piano key border pieced on adding machine tape. I removed the paper, of course. The sashing and borders in between are single layers...not a problem.

dunster 07-17-2014 06:57 AM

If you think about it, any quilt has areas where there is only one layer of fabric, other areas where there are 2, 3, 4 layers, even more because of seams allowances. Once the quilt is quilted these areas seldom matter. I wouldn't worry about it.

quiltstringz 07-17-2014 07:25 AM

I agree with Dunster. I have done a string quilt and I did my border just like always (1 layer) nothing extra added. After it was quilted you can't tell the difference.

jo bauer 07-17-2014 09:11 AM

If you think you must add something to your border to make it the same weight, how about some light or medium weight fusible interfacing or stabilizer?

Tartan 07-17-2014 09:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Once it is sandwiched, I don't think it will make much difference. I did however want to have my sashing to have the same feel as my foundation pieced blocks on a top I did. I just cut 1 inch sashing and sewing 1/4 inch on both side seams brings the visible sashing down to 1/2 inch and the seam allowances add the extra thickness underneath.
P.S. It also gave the thicker edges of the foundation blocks somewhere to go as I pressed them all into the sashing.

SylviaBurton 07-17-2014 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6805252)
Once it is sandwiched, I don't think it will make much difference. I did however want to have my sashing to have the same feel as my foundation pieced blocks on a top I did. I just cut 1 inch sashing and sewing 1/4 inch on both side seams brings the visible sashing down to 1/2 inch and the seam allowances add the extra thickness underneath.
P.S. It also gave the thicker edges of the foundation blocks somewhere to go as I pressed them all into the sashing.

First of all I want to thank each and everyone of you for your suggestions. The border will probably be only 1 to 1.5 inch finished so looks like the seam allowances will take care of the thickness. My quilt is black and white with the center strip being lime green...just needed a black border to tie it all together...thanks again for everyone's input!!!

ILoveToQuilt 07-17-2014 02:16 PM

Sounds wonderful! I love black & white quilts and the lime will surely make the quilt *sing*!

My string quilts I've made on paper foundations which were removed before sandwiching and quilting.

I don't think the thickness will be an issue once your quilt is together because, as you mentioned, your seam allowances will take care it.

Post pictures when complete...the quilt sounds wonderful.

PiecesinMn 07-17-2014 02:34 PM

I think the only time I would have a concern is if I were hand quilting. Extra layers make it harder. If you are tying or machine quilting, it will be just fine.