Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
string quilt >

string quilt

string quilt

Old 07-17-2014, 05:59 AM

Default string quilt

Hello fellow quilters, I am currently working on a string quilt using muslin foundation. I've been wondering how to do the border since it will be only one layer and not double as the blocks are. Should anything be added so the border will be the same weight as the main part of the quilt. The border will not be very wide since the blocks will measure approx. 80x90. This is my first foundation quilting project. I have searched the internet and have not found anything referring to adding a border to foundation blocks.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

What kind of border are you planning to add? I don't think I've ever seen a border added to a string quilt before. How wide will it be? Will it be pieced (like blocks of some sort)? Or solid, strips of fabric? If it is just solid strips and fairly narrow (like only a couple inches) you probably won't need a foundation.... But wider you might want one... Lots of variables, depending on the type/size of border.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

I have a string quilt on my avatar pieced on muslin, then a piano key border pieced on adding machine tape. I removed the paper, of course. The sashing and borders in between are single layers...not a problem.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

If you think about it, any quilt has areas where there is only one layer of fabric, other areas where there are 2, 3, 4 layers, even more because of seams allowances. Once the quilt is quilted these areas seldom matter. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:25 AM

I agree with Dunster. I have done a string quilt and I did my border just like always (1 layer) nothing extra added. After it was quilted you can't tell the difference.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:11 AM

If you think you must add something to your border to make it the same weight, how about some light or medium weight fusible interfacing or stabilizer?
Old 07-17-2014, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

Once it is sandwiched, I don't think it will make much difference. I did however want to have my sashing to have the same feel as my foundation pieced blocks on a top I did. I just cut 1 inch sashing and sewing 1/4 inch on both side seams brings the visible sashing down to 1/2 inch and the seam allowances add the extra thickness underneath.
P.S. It also gave the thicker edges of the foundation blocks somewhere to go as I pressed them all into the sashing.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Last edited by Tartan; 07-17-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Once it is sandwiched, I don't think it will make much difference. I did however want to have my sashing to have the same feel as my foundation pieced blocks on a top I did. I just cut 1 inch sashing and sewing 1/4 inch on both side seams brings the visible sashing down to 1/2 inch and the seam allowances add the extra thickness underneath.
P.S. It also gave the thicker edges of the foundation blocks somewhere to go as I pressed them all into the sashing.
First of all I want to thank each and everyone of you for your suggestions. The border will probably be only 1 to 1.5 inch finished so looks like the seam allowances will take care of the thickness. My quilt is black and white with the center strip being lime green...just needed a black border to tie it all together...thanks again for everyone's input!!!
Old 07-17-2014, 02:16 PM

Sounds wonderful! I love black & white quilts and the lime will surely make the quilt *sing*!

My string quilts I've made on paper foundations which were removed before sandwiching and quilting.

I don't think the thickness will be an issue once your quilt is together because, as you mentioned, your seam allowances will take care it.

Post pictures when complete...the quilt sounds wonderful.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:34 PM

I think the only time I would have a concern is if I were hand quilting. Extra layers make it harder. If you are tying or machine quilting, it will be just fine.