Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   String Quilt WITHOUT Foundation Piecing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/string-quilt-without-foundation-piecing-t162780.html)

Sandee 10-24-2011 10:12 AM

I've made three-all with a foundation. They were easy to sew together that way after trimming. My foundation was used dryer sheets sewn together & cut to the size block I wanted. They finished out at about 9". My avatar is one of them.

bluteddi 10-24-2011 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
As long as you're not actually USING the snot ... Oh my. I didn't say that, did I?

wouldn't SNOT act as a starch?

oh man.. I'm gonna be duck those tomatoes too!!!

charity-crafter 10-24-2011 10:28 AM

I've done strip piecing without foundations. But I also use a lot of starch when pressing.

But I'm not sure about the random stripe you want to add-maybe starch it some more?

Candace 10-24-2011 01:37 PM

UPDATE: What I thought was going to be a very fast, very simple project is ending up incredibly wonky. I absolutely will not do this with my batiks. They will get a foundation or QAYG treatment. Ugh. Some consolation that this mess is for my dog.

Yup. Just like I had said.
:wink:

Krystyna 10-24-2011 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Candace

UPDATE: What I thought was going to be a very fast, very simple project is ending up incredibly wonky. I absolutely will not do this with my batiks. They will get a foundation or QAYG treatment. Ugh. Some consolation that this mess is for my dog.

Further update - got it all put together and added a border to make it closer to the size I wanted and happily started to stipple quilt it on my Baby Lock and **CLUNK** the machine froze. I am freaking out just a little bit. OK. A lot. Need that machine for my business. So in an already jam packed day, I will be trotting it off for repairs. Since it's less than a year old, I hope it won't be too bad. *SIGH*

dublb 10-24-2011 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Candace

Further update - got it all put together and added a border to make it closer to the size I wanted and happily started to stipple quilt it on my Baby Lock and **CLUNK** the machine froze. I am freaking out just a little bit. OK. A lot. Need that machine for my business. So in an already jam packed day, I will be trotting it off for repairs. Since it's less than a year old, I hope it won't be too bad. *SIGH*

Oh no!!!!!
:thumbdown:

iwanttosew 10-25-2011 02:47 AM

Need to hear the rest of the story-the fabric pieces sound wonderful-the sewing machine-not so wonderful!

barri1 10-25-2011 02:51 AM

Think I'm getting jealous of all your finds.. I hit some estate sales, and don't find much of anything.. I get the Newsday, and maybe I'm not looking in the right places..
Barri

Krystyna 10-25-2011 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by barri1
Think I'm getting jealous of all your finds.. I hit some estate sales, and don't find much of anything.. I get the Newsday, and maybe I'm not looking in the right places..
Barri

Barri, keep looking. You'll find one sooner or later. I've stopped going. Tooooo much fabric!

Happy Tails 10-25-2011 03:23 AM

OMG you guys are hilarious!!!!! It's "snot" really that funny..............oh jeez lolol