Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   String Quilts- Ill show you mine, will you show me yours? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/string-quilts-ill-show-you-mine-will-you-show-me-yours-t187228.html)

Pilgrim 05-17-2012 06:20 PM

I've done the flip and sew method on muslin and then you don't have to use batting or remove paper you sewed on. I love using up the scraps this way.

BKrenning 05-17-2012 06:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My niece lost the baby quilt I made for her daughter & wanted me to fix this old one she found while cleaning out my mother's camper. It is pieced onto muslin and has an old tablecloth or curtain for backing. It wasn't worth remaking. [ATTACH=CONFIG]336120[/ATTACH]
This is my modernized & larger version. I pieced the blocks onto 6" paper squares and trimmed down before removing the paper & sewing into 10" blocks. I used scraps of cotton batting sewn together and it is machine quilted with my PC Quilter.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]336123[/ATTACH]

craftyheart2 05-18-2012 01:29 AM

Here's One of my Charity Quilts

1 Attachment(s)
I have made quite a few string quilts.

craftyheart2 05-18-2012 01:30 AM

There are heaps of fabulous ideas here for inspiration.

sewmom 05-18-2012 05:51 AM

I am in the process of making a couple of string quilts. They are all so cool! Have you checked out the ones in our Quilt Gallery? These need to be added to it. ( sorry Cathy) i have to tell you, the spool string quilt is sooo fascinating! It is definately on my list as the next string quilt that i will do. Keep up the good work quilters!!!

DeJane 05-18-2012 06:09 AM

I've started a string top using scraps fun to see diffferent fabric that go together that you would normally not think are great. Only have 10 blocks done so a way to go. Happy Quilting

Cheshirecatquilter 05-18-2012 06:12 AM

I like the effect made by having the strings perpendicular to the long edge in the dark blocks and parallel to the long edge in the light ones. (This refers to the second quilt pictured in this post.)

myreda 05-18-2012 06:23 AM

Peckish your string quilt is stunning. I have only made scrap ones but I may have to try one with your approach.

sewmom 05-18-2012 06:26 AM

My DGSs were over and wanted to sew. I wanted to try a string block, so i showed the older one how to flip and sew. Mine was in shades of blues and i had it half done. I asked the younger one to pick out some strips for me to sew on. He picked out baseballs, dinosaurs -all novelty fabrics. So one half of the block is gramma, the other half is all Jaden!! I am leaving it that way too!

burchquilts 05-19-2012 01:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Look at this awesome strip quilt I found (again in one of my many "ideas" folders). I know it's a little different but I think it's neat. You could just take long strips of foundation fabric & do it like a strippie.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]336425[/ATTACH]