Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   String Quilts- Ill show you mine, will you show me yours? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/string-quilts-ill-show-you-mine-will-you-show-me-yours-t187228.html)

burchquilts 05-19-2012 01:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And one last one that I HAVE to do... I LOVE this idea, don't you????

[ATTACH=CONFIG]336426[/ATTACH]

burchquilts 05-19-2012 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by sewmom (Post 5225597)
My DGSs were over and wanted to sew. I wanted to try a string block, so i showed the older one how to flip and sew. Mine was in shades of blues and i had it half done. I asked the younger one to pick out some strips for me to sew on. He picked out baseballs, dinosaurs -all novelty fabrics. So one half of the block is gramma, the other half is all Jaden!! I am leaving it that way too!

That's so sweet! You'll look at that "Jaden" block & remember that sewing day for years to come!

burchquilts 05-19-2012 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Pilgrim (Post 5224814)
I've done the flip and sew method on muslin and then you don't have to use batting or remove paper you sewed on. I love using up the scraps this way.

I do the same thing but I buy really thin, cheap solid-colored fabric to use with mine.

gramajo 05-22-2012 12:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I make a string pieced block from fabrics in each quilt I make. I also embroider the name of the quilt on the center string. Eventually, if and when I ever decide to quit quilting, I can make this one last quilt of memories for me. Here are the ones I have done so far. I just put them on the design wall in no particular order.

wildyard 05-22-2012 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by gramajo (Post 5235377)
I make a string pieced block from fabrics in each quilt I make. I also embroider the name of the quilt on the center string. Eventually, if and when I ever decide to quit quilting, I can make this one last quilt of memories for me. Here are the ones I have done so far. I just put them on the design wall in no particular order.

What a great idea gramajo! I sure wish I had thought of that when I first started quilting. I 'd definitely love to have a block for every one I've made, too, especially since I give them away and don't have any around.
I'm thinking I'll get into the scraps and see if I have a chance of coming up with something from each one. It's only been a couple years so might be doable!

earlori7 05-27-2012 05:27 PM

Wow...I love them all. I have so many strings and so little time. I like the idea of just sewing a few when their are a few minutes. I think I am going to make one like you made. Very nice. Thanks for posting it.

Chester the bunny 05-27-2012 06:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one of mine. Sew odd size strips together into a rather large piece and recut at a 45 degree angle. Gives you different looking blocks.

ChrisB 06-17-2012 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5171428)
I made two of these. I don't remember exactly when I made them but it was at least 5 years ago. I pieced on newspaper squares and made half of the blocks all dark and half all white and then cut them on the diagonal and put them back together.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]330661[/ATTACH]

I love the light and dark contrast in this one. Beautifully done.

ladynredd 06-17-2012 04:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's one I made for DS #1. DH liked it so much he was upset that I gave it away -- I had to promise to make another one for him! I'm about halfway through with it right now, just cut out some more muslin foundations.

SandyinZ4 06-17-2012 08:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is my version of a string quilt and I did it QAYG method. Plus I only used selveges. I had posted this elsewhere on the board but I can't find it now. Everyone has such wonderful creations.