Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Strip dies - or no? - for the GO Big (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/strip-dies-no-go-big-t280904.html)

carolaug 07-31-2016 02:37 PM

I have all of the strip dies, I use the them all...but the 2 1/2 strip gets the most use. you also can make squares from them. I also have June Taylor, but much prefer my strip cutter dies. I also use them to cut wool, T-shirt strips for head bands and other projects.

quiltingshorttimer 07-31-2016 04:31 PM

I have the GO strip die bundle (6, 4,3,2.5, 1.5, 1, .5) and love them--not sure why some thing there's lots of prep to use or can't get long stripes. I can fan fold about 14" in a fold 6 layers, so about 80+". and you can then subcut into squares, rectangles and diamonds--so I personally use the strip dies the most. Plus you can cut bias strips. and my strips are so much more accurate using the Go--and my hands and shoulders hurt not at all! And it takes about 10 minutes to do what takes me about 3x that long with rotary cutting.

Dolphyngyrl 07-31-2016 06:43 PM

Me personally no because you can cut faster with june tailor so I just think it is an expensive waste of money. I would save the money for dies that are trickier cuts and time consuming with a rotary cutter, just my 2 cents

QuiltnLady1 07-31-2016 08:14 PM

The dies are so expensive, I would spend the money on the more complicated dies since strips are pretty easy to cut -- I love my shape cut pro for strips -- also for bias strips.

quiltingcandy 07-31-2016 09:07 PM

I bought the 1.5 in. and the 2.5 in. dies and love them both. If I need to cut a lot of strips then I get the GO out and love that it goes so fast and so accurate. I do have the June Tailor shape cutter too and if I am just cutting a few then it is nice to have and quicker than using my rulers. I buy my dies when they go on sale and then buy enough to get free shipping too.

ScubaK 07-31-2016 11:19 PM

I love mine for 2.5 inch strips...
and I have 1.5 inch for binding
Kirsten

Mitch's mom 08-01-2016 02:37 AM

I like 2 1/4 inch binding so I bought the die and use it frequently. I have the 2 1/2 inch and the 31/2 inch but rarely use the 2 1/2 and have never used the 3 1/2 in die. I use the June Taylor for 2 1/2 inch strips if I need them.

jmoore 08-01-2016 02:47 AM

I used a Go cutter in a class at MQX this spring and agree that it definitely produces accurate cut pieces but it seemed to take longer than using my rotary and strip ruler.

rj.neihart 08-01-2016 04:09 AM

Looks like your DH will help you if he has his toy to play with! Question being...do you want his help?

patricej 08-01-2016 05:02 AM

i've tried all the multi-strip rulers mentioned. they're very popular, so they obviously work for some folks. but for me, none of them are worth the cost. too clumsy; the JT is too darned slippery, so too easy to end up with a pile of elbowed strips; and all of them are absurdly expensive for what they do.

i used to think the strip cutting dies were ... hmmmm ... not exactly a waste of money, but more expensive [extravagant] than i could justify in my own head, for my own purpose. then i happened to get a gift card at the same time they went on sale, so i bought a few sizes on a whim.

if i need only a few strips from a few fabrics, i'll probably stick to my rotary ruler and cutter to save time.

but i have to say ... the strip cutter will definitely be my go-to option when i need to make piles of strips for anything. the fabric prep is no more complicated or time consuming than what i do to prep for ruler/cutter. i use painters' tape to mark an accurate line on the die so i know my fabric is lined up correctly. then i can get oodles of accurate strips in waaaaaaaaay less time than doing it with just ruler and cutter.

they go on sale several times a year. when you catch them at a deep enough discount, they are worth every penny.