Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Studio Dreams (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/studio-dreams-t101309.html)

Anne P 02-19-2011 09:54 PM

Having seen pictures of a lot of quilting/sewing studios here, and thinking about how I can incorporate some of the great ideas into my own (or wishing I could), got me to wondering:
what features would you have in your dream studio, or what do you have that is a dream for you?

As for me, I want more natural light and room for a mid-arm quilting machine. I'm not knocking what I have because it has some wonderful features, and I know there are those who have to make do with much less. However, if I could design one from scratch with no limitations, wellll . . .

How about you?

luvTooQuilt 02-19-2011 10:25 PM

I would like Lots of space & lots of storage.. 20x20 would work lol... other than that I love my room.. I have great lighting and my set up is productive..

Sing 02-19-2011 10:30 PM

I will never be able to have a dedicated studio... but if I did, it would have two large, sturdy work tables and a play area for the kids to keep me company!

sak658 02-19-2011 10:38 PM

I love what I have, but would like it to be bigger, I don't keep my stash out where you see it, its all in drawers. Organized in colors. I have 2 bins of scraps, 1 lights, 1 darks. They are behind doors. My computer desk is in my room, sometimes I wish it was somewhere else, but it is handy. I have a window, but I keep it covered with a blind. It faces west and it has a lot of heat to it. I wish I could keep my cutting table open all the time. And I have so many things hanging on my wall space, I don't have a big design board, so I use the back of my door. I feel very blessed to have what I do have. So I'm pretty satisfied right now..

craftybear 02-19-2011 10:39 PM

big room at least 24 x 24 or bigger, with windows that looks out over a pond or lake, lots of storage for fabrics, big cutting table, enough room for others to sew in studio with me and also have another area for sleeping to have retreats etc.

why not have 2 houses, one for studio and the one next door for sleeping retreats

and have a chef to prepare all meals and a cleaning lady!

Rose L 02-19-2011 10:43 PM

I'd just like to have better lighting. I have to use lamps as the room has no ceiling light. I'm thinking track lighting might be good ;)

Connie in CO 02-19-2011 10:50 PM

My neighbor and i are talking about turning her cabin she has between my place and hers into a sewing cabin.

luvTooQuilt 02-19-2011 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Connie in CO
My neighbor and i are talking about turning her cabin she has between my place and hers into a sewing cabin.

Can I come over to play when finished?????

Cuilteanna 02-20-2011 12:08 AM

I'd like more space, so I could have my computer in there all the time, a television set, and perhaps even a comfortable chair, Although I remind myself to be thankful I have a space just for sewing it's really a bit claustrophobic to spend too much time there.

gzuslivz 02-20-2011 12:16 AM

My dd got married in July. We are turning her bedroom into my sewing room. It's taking some time, as dd left a closet full of stuff. After asking her to come get it for months now, dh got boxes today for us to pack up her stuff. Then we are going to deliver it to her place. We have the paint. My dh got a program to design my room. Gotta rip up the carpet and get storage stuff for the closet. My dream is to have it done!