Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Studio Dreams >
  • Studio Dreams

• Studio Dreams

Old 02-19-2011, 09:54 PM

Having seen pictures of a lot of quilting/sewing studios here, and thinking about how I can incorporate some of the great ideas into my own (or wishing I could), got me to wondering:
    what features would you have in your dream studio, or what do you have that is a dream for you?

As for me, I want more natural light and room for a mid-arm quilting machine. I'm not knocking what I have because it has some wonderful features, and I know there are those who have to make do with much less. However, if I could design one from scratch with no limitations, wellll . . .

How about you?
    Old 02-19-2011, 10:25 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I would like Lots of space & lots of storage.. 20x20 would work lol... other than that I love my room.. I have great lighting and my set up is productive..
    Old 02-19-2011, 10:30 PM

I will never be able to have a dedicated studio... but if I did, it would have two large, sturdy work tables and a play area for the kids to keep me company!
    Old 02-19-2011, 10:38 PM

I love what I have, but would like it to be bigger, I don't keep my stash out where you see it, its all in drawers. Organized in colors. I have 2 bins of scraps, 1 lights, 1 darks. They are behind doors. My computer desk is in my room, sometimes I wish it was somewhere else, but it is handy. I have a window, but I keep it covered with a blind. It faces west and it has a lot of heat to it. I wish I could keep my cutting table open all the time. And I have so many things hanging on my wall space, I don't have a big design board, so I use the back of my door. I feel very blessed to have what I do have. So I'm pretty satisfied right now..
    Old 02-19-2011, 10:39 PM
    Google Goddess

big room at least 24 x 24 or bigger, with windows that looks out over a pond or lake, lots of storage for fabrics, big cutting table, enough room for others to sew in studio with me and also have another area for sleeping to have retreats etc.

why not have 2 houses, one for studio and the one next door for sleeping retreats

and have a chef to prepare all meals and a cleaning lady!
    Old 02-19-2011, 10:43 PM

I'd just like to have better lighting. I have to use lamps as the room has no ceiling light. I'm thinking track lighting might be good ;)
    Old 02-19-2011, 10:50 PM

My neighbor and i are talking about turning her cabin she has between my place and hers into a sewing cabin.
    Old 02-19-2011, 11:55 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by Connie in CO
    My neighbor and i are talking about turning her cabin she has between my place and hers into a sewing cabin.
    Can I come over to play when finished?????
    Old 02-20-2011, 12:08 AM

I'd like more space, so I could have my computer in there all the time, a television set, and perhaps even a comfortable chair, Although I remind myself to be thankful I have a space just for sewing it's really a bit claustrophobic to spend too much time there.
    Old 02-20-2011, 12:16 AM

My dd got married in July. We are turning her bedroom into my sewing room. It's taking some time, as dd left a closet full of stuff. After asking her to come get it for months now, dh got boxes today for us to pack up her stuff. Then we are going to deliver it to her place. We have the paint. My dh got a program to design my room. Gotta rip up the carpet and get storage stuff for the closet. My dream is to have it done!