Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A study of personality types: Esp. for those of you who don't have a stash or don't keep scraps... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/study-personality-types-esp-those-you-who-dont-have-stash-dont-keep-scraps-t144844.html)

Rainy Day 08-15-2011 01:26 AM

I will eat leftovers at work (when I get time to have a break), and take them in for some of the singles at work to have.
I'm working on a stash, buthave learnt to try and buy for a project.
When we cleared out my MILs place after her death in 2008, I found meals I had cooked for her when I was studying in 1996 in her freezer. I clear my freezer out every three months.

grannypat7925 08-15-2011 04:46 AM

I keep my scraps for future use, use my leftovers, try to be creative with the cooking, always buy ahead and when it is on sale, including fabric. Saves in the long run!

Candy Apple Quilts 08-15-2011 04:48 AM

Leftover food? Yes. Stocked pantry? Yes. Little boxes of tiny scraps? Not in a million years! :lol:

TexasGurl 08-15-2011 07:39 AM

I'm somewhere in the middle ...don't keep a lot of scraps anymore, but I love scrap quilts. I give leftover scraps to GS troops, bee or Senior center. I will buy fabric with no immediate project in mind. If I like it, I buy it ! May not see it again !
I keep a full pantry & staples but we don't like to buy meat to freeze it. DH doesn't like frozen food, he had enough when the kids schedules had us all running. Now they're off in college/out, we eat more cooked meals. I still look for quick recipes and we eat leftovers. Less cooking time is more quilting time ! :)

VaNella 08-15-2011 08:09 AM

I have "planned overs" both for food and quilts.

sylviasmom 08-15-2011 10:10 AM

My shopping for grocery and for quilting projects are similiar. For groceries, I make a list, according to what we like to eat, planning each meal. For quilting, I copy the picture of the quilt and fabric list. I may or not buy all the fabrics needed at one time, but I put everything together, pattern and fabrics folded together. When I have accumulated all the fabrics needed, I make the quilt. My cooking and quiltmaking are the same, I generally have several things cooking/sewing at the same time.

Nanjun 08-15-2011 11:00 AM

I dont like leftovers... We were 7kids and we ate eveything
no left overs at our house.

SUZAG 08-21-2011 03:14 AM

I used to think I had a large stash but after joining in with you professionals, mine looks puny (4 lg. tubs). Most of mine are from the thrift stores. I have slowed down a lot since I had the realization that my daughter has no interest in sewing and I have no one to leave it to. My stash will probably hit the dumpster since no one understands it. Hopefully it will at least get donated to a good cause (I'd better designate in my will). I've got enough now to last for the rest of my life although if I am making something like a baby quilt, I do need to go out and find novelty fabrics.

I stock up with sales and try to keep a loaded (everything falls out) pantry. Wish I had more freezer space. I start to panic if the stash gets low but if I run short on money, we can always eat. We usually "fight" over the leftovers to see who can grab them first.

I grow a very small garden, just enough for summertime eating. I used to can but do not have the storage space anymore. I do freeze a few veggies if we can't eat the entire harvest.

dotski 08-27-2011 07:29 AM

only buy fabric when i have a pattern in mind and even then i try to find patterns for the fabric i already have. i love scrappy's so no problem there. as fr food i hate to cook and i hate to shop so the least i have to do for bot is fine with me. i do have food in pantry and freezer but not too much. i actually hate when the fridge is full...less is more !!!!