Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A study of personality types: Esp. for those of you who don't have a stash or don't keep scraps... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/study-personality-types-esp-those-you-who-dont-have-stash-dont-keep-scraps-t144844.html)

CarolinePaj 08-14-2011 11:02 AM

Oh.....

I love ontherivers idea of making more so that it can be eaten the next day when she is working on a project.... I am going to try that!

As for stashing.... yes I do and it is the same with the pantry and freezer.... could live for a few months with the stocks (I rotate of course).... but as a newish quilter I have only recently started keeping the scraps. This is because I have bought some patterns that have applique and only require small pieces and learning from all of you out there has helped!

Hug

BarbaraSue 08-14-2011 11:19 AM

My cubboards are full if you like peanut butter, trisciuts, and kashi cereal. My DH buys these about every week, and esp when on sale. He shops and will stop by the store any night of the week, and calls me everyday before he leaves work to ask if we need anything. We have fruit and meats in the freezer. The cupboards are stocked with the basics for baking and there are mixes on hand for the occassional extras.
Likewise, my stash grows. I do use out of it. If I can make the entire project out of my stash, I do that first. But 9 x's out of 10, I don't have the right thread, so I still need to go to the store. While there I have been known to buy fabric that I believe will go better than my first choice, and will get home and decide that my first choice was still the best. So, my stash grows. I have the fabric for at least 4 projects that I chose the fabrics for, but have yet to do the projects. Are those UFO's if you haven't started them? I don't know.

Tinabodina 08-14-2011 12:04 PM

My pantry and freezer is stocked. My fabric is stocked and if I never purchase another piece of fabric, I could make 20 queen size quilts. Thread too.
We eat left overs, because we were once so poor, all I had to feed pur 4 year old was a slice of cheese and a piece of bread. (Look into a 4 year old eyes sometime that is hungry, that is when I swore to myself I would never be in that position again.)
My DH loves that I don't "SHOP" for things that we don't need and loves my ability to have the same thing 7 different ways. I am very organized, everything in it's place, and not a bunch of clutter. My "4 year old" is now 42 and even though we are far from rich, we never do without.
My grandmother always said, "waste not, want not," and she was so right. As for scraps of fabric, anything 2 inches or bigger is still useful. Old hands can't handle anything to much smaller.

ShabbyTabby 08-14-2011 12:21 PM

My cup runneth over....my cupboards are always stocked, as well as the freezer. I hate starting to make a dish and not have all the ingredients on hand. I have a large stash of fabric as I don't drive anymore and shopping isn't easy for me so shop online and I must confess, I'm have never met a pretty fabric I didn't want !!! LOL

teacherbailey 08-14-2011 01:20 PM

I keep big scraps (around 5-6" square or more), give the smaller ones to the art program at my school, and eat leftovers for lunches or dinners the next day.

lenette 08-14-2011 01:33 PM

You brought back a memory. A few years ago, the mother of my daughters friend was saying how much she liked to sew. Always wondering how people dealt with their leftovers and stash, I asked her where she kept them. Are you ready? In the seat of the stool that she sits on at her machine!

Needless to say, I knew then she wasn't a serious sewer.

I started stashing when I was 13 years old.

MadQuilter 08-14-2011 01:39 PM

Pantry - what pantry? I do have some errand cans of assorted food stuffs but not enough to make a meal out of. On the other hand, I have been making myself use up the food stash and then I plan to replenish. When we remodeled the kitchen I found some cans in the corner that had moved with us from the old place. So we are talking decades old. Not doing that any longer.

I am trying to do the same with my fabric stash. Use what I have and only buy supplemental pieces.

GGinMcKinney 08-14-2011 02:17 PM

Make menus using food in freezer & pantry. Buy to fill in what is needed, then buy what is on sale that we enjoy & will use. Use coupons, go to 3 stores depending on the ad. Retired & the stores are within about a 10 block square from home.
I sew at the little church. They provide the fabric for most charity work. I buy the batting on sale. I contribute some batting & use some of theirs. I stitch together pieces to make a useable larger piece for baby quilts and small projects. People give me their fabric and the little church sends a bit home with me. I buy what I want for a project on sale 99% of the time. I could buy no more fabric and sew everyday the rest of the year. Good idea I could finish projects. We do lots of confirmation quilts so I enjoy sewing without spending a bundle. I do have my stash, but if I bought it, it was for a planned project or extreme sale/remnant.
I am frugal. I loom knit and buy yarn on sale & folks give me yarn they can't use.

kiffie2413 08-14-2011 02:27 PM

We keep our kitchen stocked, and we mostly eat our leftovers, or bag and freeze them to eat later (like lasagne or enchiladas)...I also have a huge fabric stash, and my scraps are organized (only recently, tho..) by color in clear containers...That being said, I do throw away small scraps, anything smaller than like 1 1/2 inches...My lqs owner keeps all scraps, selvages, and points trimmed off of hst...I just don't have it in me to keep that small stuff...so, I guess I am somewhat frugal, and somewhat not...depends on opinion, eh?... :wink:

jeannie t 08-14-2011 02:47 PM

I shop for the month and love having stash. Only buy what I need to complete a new quilt. But I really need to do a few scrappy quilts to use up some of my stash,