Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stuff-you-use-quilting-isnt-originally-quilting-t152963.html)

raptureready 12-06-2011 01:40 PM

I use our 8 room upstairs as my "sewing room", the dressers are filled with fabric, the several of the walls are lined with shelves and the kitchen table serves as one of my sewing centers.
Several stacking plastic boxes from Office Depot that lock to the one on top to hold threads, another stack to hold notions. I take them to retreat.
Large shopping bags from Aldi's to transport projects, folding fabric boxes from Dollar Tree to hold separate projects.
Carpet blades from Harbor Frieght in my cutter
A plastic lazy susan type kitchen utensil holder for my scissors, cutters, etc. at home.
A Handy Cutter for opening plastic packaging from Dollar Tree to cut apart chain piecing

veryvirginia 12-07-2011 05:26 AM

I added a Christmas Tree shaped card holder to my sewing area to hold instructions sheets and pattern pieces to keep them from flying away and keeping them handy for detail work.

kathyjg 12-07-2011 05:42 AM

There many reasons I love this Board and all of the great ideas many of you just shared is just one of them/

ksdot417 12-07-2011 06:34 AM

Love this site! I use:
a piece of plastic guttering with holes drilled in it to hang at the bottom of my pegboard (see my Avatar) to store my leader grips and aluminum yard sticks.
a kitchen island from ikea for a cutting table
wood closet shoe organizers for storage
old kleenex boxes with fabric liners to hold patterns on shelves
music stand for holding books while I'm working
cheap placemat to sew all the decorative stitches on my sewing machine - I write in the number for the design and can find one at a glance
ice cube trays for storing bobbins - got the long kind for water bottles
springs from my kids baby crib to hang on the wall - use S hooks to hang stuff on it
formular insulation board for design wall

Michellesews 12-07-2011 06:40 AM

Hemostats, work much better than tweezers. Most MD offices use the disposable ones, and they are just as good and last forever....I keep a set in my quilt room and a set in my sewing room....they lock and don't let go....

judi wess 12-07-2011 06:53 AM

One of those coffee stirers from Mickey D's. I put the paddle end behind the needle in my machine to thread it when the light in the room isn't the best.

QuiltedCritterLady 12-21-2011 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Julie in WA (Post 4209299)
The Bible.

Yes, it's true.

It is the perfect thickness to go under my heel so that I can run the pedal with the front part of my foot. Else my foot cramps up.

BTW, it is not the only Bible we have in the house; this one is an older one that gets little use. If someone needs this particular version, they can find it just as easily under my sewing machine as they can on the bookshelf!

You ladies just crack me up! I spend a lot of time on here learning because I am so new to quilting. I always learn so much from previous posts and I am always entertained too. I love this board!

soozieq2 12-21-2011 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by luv-e (Post 4207232)
I just heard about the Toilet Bowl Brush Saturday @ Quilt Grp.
It just cracked me up.......but hey anything that will work...I'm game

I would much rather use that brush for sewing/quilting than its original use.

Whigrose 12-21-2011 05:19 PM

hiking headlamp for machine quilting -that's the biggie. Lint roller to pick up loose threads.

cindyw 12-21-2011 07:26 PM

I haven't seen this one yet. I have some beautiful clear glass dishes (bowls, compote dish, etc) that I got from my great grandmother and my mom. I don't set a formal table often so they were just sitting unused in the cabinet. I got a couple of them out and use them for thread scraps at the machine and for cutting scraps at the cutting table. They are pretty filled with thread and fabric scraps and I get to see them and use them.