Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   stumped on what pattern to use for flannel queen bed quilt w plaids (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stumped-what-pattern-use-flannel-queen-bed-quilt-w-plaids-t206664.html)

DOTTYMO 11-24-2012 03:34 AM

I just saw log cabin so predictable. I use flannel on the back of children's quilts. I always pre-wash but I haven never starched. I think start would help and I would limit my pressing of seams to avoid stretch.

totosmom 11-24-2012 05:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Sunnye (Post 5673708)
Or even faster and simpler, cut big squares and leave them big squares!

Sometimes the simplest is the best. These two were fast and simple but rather attractive.

Your flannels sound lovely! Don't forget to set your stitch length a little shorter if the fabric is a loose weave. It's not necessary if it's a tight weave. Starching before you cut also helps a lot. And I agree to prewash, at least once or twice!

I also like the Square Dance pattern that Alex Anderson uses. Using the same fabric in the center of all the blocks would tie it all together nicely. Unfortunately I can't find a pic of that one for you. But whatever you decide on, good luck and don't forget to post a picture of your finished quilt.

Quiltshaker 11-24-2012 07:00 AM

I just made two Carpenter Star lap quilts. The pattern also had queen size. Would be great in flannels.

Honchey 11-24-2012 07:13 AM

Years ago I saw a quilt made with checks and striped flannel in a layered brick pattern....that pattern always comes to mind when I see plaid fabric (homespun)...it wouldn't be hard to do.

patchsamkim 11-24-2012 07:58 AM

Yellow Brick Road is always a good choice for a flannel quilt. I made one years ago of plaids in autumn colors, then appliqued leaves on the quilt. One of my favorites...in fact I was cuddling with it last night! I keep wanting to try other similar quilts...like appliqueing snowflakes, stars, flowers, etc, using the YBR as a "background" for the applique.

Peckish 11-24-2012 11:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the Bear Paw I was talking about. This one was a throw, so you'd want to either enlarge it or maybe add 3 more of the center blocks to grow the quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]378382[/ATTACH]

rrhaigh 11-28-2012 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 5677872)
Here's the Bear Paw I was talking about. This one was a throw, so you'd want to either enlarge it or maybe add 3 more of the center blocks to grow the quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]378382[/ATTACH]

Love your quilt. Very inspiring. I especially like the flannel squares on the inside border. Very attractive. Thank you so much for the picture - really helps to have a visual!

rrhaigh 11-28-2012 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by totosmom (Post 5675982)
Sometimes the simplest is the best. These two were fast and simple but rather attractive.

Your flannels sound lovely! Don't forget to set your stitch length a little shorter if the fabric is a loose weave. It's not necessary if it's a tight weave. Starching before you cut also helps a lot. And I agree to prewash, at least once or twice!

I also like the Square Dance pattern that Alex Anderson uses. Using the same fabric in the center of all the blocks would tie it all together nicely. Unfortunately I can't find a pic of that one for you. But whatever you decide on, good luck and don't forget to post a picture of your finished quilt.

Thank you so much for all the helpful hints and your quilts are wonderful - so nice to have a picture!