Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Substitute for BestPress? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/substitute-bestpress-t169267.html)

JoanneS 01-25-2012 09:22 AM

I guess when my non-aerosol spray thingie is empty, I'll fill it with vodka and water. No one will be the wiser re why I'm having so much more fun than usual in my sewing cave.

jcrow 01-25-2012 10:03 AM

I just bought a gallon of Best Press from Amazon for $22.00. At my LQS they want $50.00. I love this stuff but couldn't afford the high price so in the google search engine I put in the name "Best Press" and a whole lot came up and I found people selling it on Amazon. Try there.

kayluvs2quilt 01-25-2012 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by JoanneS (Post 4909407)
I guess when my non-aerosol spray thingie is empty, I'll fill it with vodka and water. No one will be the wiser re why I'm having so much more fun than usual in my sewing cave.

Still wondering if gin will work (as a spray starch - LOL). I use Best Press but dilute it 50/50 with water and will be on the lookout for gallon size with 50% off coupons. I am slowly getting our prayer quilt ministry used to the idea that a quilt top should be FLAT before we continue the process of finishing the quilt and having the Best Press bottle next to the iron sure has helped the finishing process.

SewExtremeSeams 01-25-2012 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Gramily (Post 4715006)
I use the Niagra too. I emptied it into a bigger spray bottle and and water to it. I is great stuff. I buy several bottles when it's on sale.

I, too, did not like the price of Best Press (though I think it is a great product) so I have used Niagra aerosol. I will have to look for the non-aerosol, as that is more my preference. I go back and forth on using any spray. However, I do prefer to spray at least water on my fabric. Must be from the old/golden days of ironing. LOL :D:D

QuiltnLady1 01-25-2012 01:46 PM

I use Niagra non-aerosol, and (occasionally) Best Press. Here is another recipe for a starch alternative -- I have tired it and it worked fine, but I am lazy (I have also made my own from concentrate, but that is work too). I think I like the Niagra best.

Spray Sizing Recipe<o:p></o:p>
Ingredients:<o:p></o:p>
1 heaping tablespoon corn starch<o:p></o:p>
1 pint cold water<o:p></o:p>
1-2 drops essential oil (optional)<o:p></o:p>
Preparation:<o:p></o:p>
Combine the cornstarch and water in a bowl, and stir untilthe cornstarch is completely dissolved. (The mixture will be milky in color) <o:p></o:p>
Add in a couple drops of essential oil for fragrance, ifdesired. <o:p></o:p>
Then, transfer to a spray bottle, and use. <o:p></o:p>
2. A little goes a long way, so use sparingly.<o:p></o:p>

MadQuilter 01-25-2012 02:18 PM

I don't like Vodka so I am sticking with Best Press. My favorite is the lavender.

heyjami 01-25-2012 09:17 PM

I once had a great recipe for a nice pressing spray: 1 cup alcohol (or vodka for you drinkers!), 1 cup water, 1/4 cup liquid fabric softener. Mix well, put in spray bottle and use. I used to use it years ago and it was wonderful for clothes. I only thought of using it for quilting as I'm reading this post.

Termi 04-23-2012 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by QJ1 (Post 4905549)
If you make your own Best Press subsitute using Vodka, use a POTATO based Vodka. 2 cups water, 1/4 c vodka, and about 10 drops essesential oil of your liking, or leave out. Shake well before using. Works well.
QJ!

I'm interested in trying the vodka and water Best Press substitute. How do I know if my vodka is potato based?

virtualbernie 04-23-2012 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Termi (Post 5165391)
I'm interested in trying the vodka and water Best Press substitute. How do I know if my vodka is potato based?

Don't know about the potato based vodka but I was told to use the cheapest vodka you could find. That's what I did and it works wonderfully!