Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Substitute for BestPress? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/substitute-bestpress-t169267.html)

Sandyb 11-21-2011 06:01 AM

Substitute for BestPress?

Was there something posted on the board at one time about there being something out there that could be used in place of Best Press (spelling?)? I was at our guild meeting the other day and we were working on a new project and the lady leading the class was talking about how she uses Best Press for all of her quilting projects but that it is quite expensive. She let us use her's and it did give the material a nice press and feel. Thank you for any help or info you can give me.

sandyb

LindaR 11-21-2011 06:29 AM

spray starch

Originally Posted by Sandyb (Post 4705016)
Was there something posted on the board at one time about there being something out there that could be used in place of Best Press (spelling?)? I was at our guild meeting the other day and we were working on a new project and the lady leading the class was talking about how she uses Best Press for all of her quilting projects but that it is quite expensive. She let us use her's and it did give the material a nice press and feel. Thank you for any help or info you can give me.

sandyb

Walmart carries a brand by Niagara that is in a spray bottle NOT an aersol can...love the stuff. At my walmart it is only $1.87/bottle. I have a quart bottle of best press but use the Niagara 90% of the time....try it

lyndaloo 11-21-2011 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by LindaR (Post 4705148)
Walmart carries a brand by Niagara that is in a spray bottle NOT an aersol can...love the stuff. At my walmart it is only $1.87/bottle. I have a quart bottle of best press but use the Niagara 90% of the time....try it

I use this too. Love the stuff!

virtualbernie 11-21-2011 03:16 PM

A mixture of Vodka (the cheaper the better) and water works wonderfully!

lfstamper 11-21-2011 03:19 PM

I use this too and love it. I also saw on Quilt Show about making your own from concentrate and a brand called Stay Flow. I haven't tried it but it looked like it would work.

Camping Angel 11-21-2011 03:49 PM

Spray starch not equal to Best Press

I use both Best Press and Niagara/Sta Flo/Homemade spray starch, ect. but nothing is the same as Best Press. It has a different texture than all the others listed. I use best press for small items that I hand stitch. I use spray starch for projects that really need the starch treatment (bias, triangles, ect,)

pippi65 11-21-2011 04:14 PM

No wonder my quarter inch seam is never accurate!! I have to have a little nip of the vodka as I iron. Helps it go by faster!! Just couldn't resist!!

Val in IN 11-21-2011 04:25 PM

2 cups water, 1/4 cup CHEAP vodka, a few drops 100 percent Lavendar essential oil. Mix it, pour it into a spray bottle with a fine mist, and away you go.

NanaCsews2 11-21-2011 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Camping Angel (Post 4707173)
I use both Best Press and Niagara/Sta Flo/Homemade spray starch, ect. but nothing is the same as Best Press. It has a different texture than all the others listed. I use best press for small items that I hand stitch. I use spray starch for projects that really need the starch treatment (bias, triangles, ect,)

I agree. I keep going back to the Best Press. I stopped using the fragrant ones though as they started to make me wheeze.

Challys 11-21-2011 04:32 PM

I've heard of Best Press but not tried it as I haven't seen it in the store. Whocarries it?