Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Substitute for BestPress? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/substitute-bestpress-t169267.html)

jaciqltznok 11-21-2011 07:06 PM

niagra...cut in half... and put in a different spray bottle...I don't care for the way the Niagra bottle sprays

Doreen 11-21-2011 09:01 PM

I use Best Press. I buy it by the gallon and then I mix with water in my sprayer. Check out Mary Ellens website. She has freee shipping if you order 50.00. She has a lot of other stuff!

EagarBeez 11-22-2011 05:38 AM

I use sta-flo and water

unclefreckles 11-22-2011 06:51 AM

Well, that too helps:o but the vodka and water does make a good substitute for the expensive "Best Press".

vondae 11-22-2011 01:03 PM

I can't afford the best press either, but, I use the sta flo concenrate. I mix it 1/2 sta flo and 1/2 water. I use filtered water, just so there is a few less chemical. Just my choice, don't know if it makes any difference.

Needle Up 11-22-2011 01:36 PM

I use the Best Press on my garments as well. LOVE it.

auntpiggylpn 11-22-2011 07:16 PM

I will stand behind the Best Press. I always buy the refill bottle when I have a 50% off coupon and refill my spray bottle. I get mine at Hancock Fabrics. My favorite LQS sells it too but for much more than Hancock's. I also water mine down. I will use about 2/3 best press to 1/3 water in my spray bottle. I get the same results as if I use it full strength. I use it when I iron/press anything, including clothes.

damaquilts 11-23-2011 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Val in IN (Post 4707276)
2 cups water, 1/4 cup CHEAP vodka, a few drops 100 percent Lavender essential oil. Mix it, pour it into a spray bottle with a fine mist, and away you go.

I had Best Press and I agree it is quite expensive. I found something by Dryel that was a good substitute but of course it disappeared. I learned it was repackaged as a Bounce product with the Bounce smell in it . Its called Bounce ironing spray. Walmart did not carry it last time I looked. I have not used it since the change.
I made up the mixture of the vodka and water and essential oil. I LOVE it. It gives a smooth finish like the expensive stuff. I tried starch alone, then the homemade ironing spray alone, to test For finish work I like the ironing spray best. I use it on my clothes too. What I have been doing with my fabric is spraying it with a light mixture of starch , rolling it and when I am ready to iron spraying it with the ironing spray.
OH BTW you are not limited to lavender. I used Rosemary for clearing my head while I iron. I have also used Peppermint to wake me up. But make sure they are essential oils not cooking extracts. Big difference. :-)

MrsBoats 11-23-2011 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Val in IN (Post 4707276)
2 cups water, 1/4 cup CHEAP vodka, a few drops 100 percent Lavendar essential oil. Mix it, pour it into a spray bottle with a fine mist, and away you go.

The last time I did this, I picked up a bottle of citrus vodka by accident. It works just as well as the plain stuff, but smells great!

Hubby always says he can tell when I've got the iron on, because the upstairs smells like happy hour. With the citrus stuff, he asked if I wanted a bottle of champagne to go with it, for fuzzy navels. :D

SingerSewer 11-23-2011 04:03 AM

I really like Best Press but like the Niagra non-aerosol price much better. Depends on what I am working on which I use. Both work very well.